Site created by iweb getting into search engines

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Cheryl53, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Cheryl53 macrumors newbie

I really had high hopes for my macbook I purchased over 2 years ago after using pc's for years. I did love it but am finding roadblocks. Iweb was so easy to work with but I cannot add meta tags which was my first stumbling block. I researched and found Rage that was suppose to be able to add them to my site then realized my site was really only one page even though I had many pages to it. I guess that is due to me having a domain name pointing to the iweb site. I am just about ready to give up ever getting my website to actually work the way I want it to. I have tried other website creation programs and I just cannot figure them out as I have been spoiled with iweb. What am I doing wrong? I know I am a newbie and am not that mac smart but there has to be an easy way to do all of this. I am that close to just buying another pc.

2. suzerain macrumors regular

First of all, it should be said by someone: meta tags are not nearly as important nowadays as they were years ago. Google cares much more about the content of your web site, and the links coming into your web site, than it does about meta tags. They used to be much more important about 5+ years ago (I've been a Web developer for 13 years).

Still, adding them can't hurt. Rage can add the meta tags for you. You open up the site, and then open up the page(s) you want from the left column, enter your meta information, and click Apply.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I really hope you didn't buy the MacBook just to use iWeb, that would be an odd decision. Your comment just made it sounds this way. Also, things won't be any different on a Windows machine if you go back to one.

On meta tags, there's this thread here at Mac Rumors that was brought up about it. Post 11 had a link, which tells about Rage, which you already found, but it may have some other information that can help. As suzerain said, meta tags aren't a huge deal, though I still try to provide them when possible.

On the 'only one page' that may be due to domain masking, which is where the URL in the browser doesn't change as you go between pages on the site. Here's a page that shows how to set it up if your host is Go Daddy, but you may be able to use the instructions to figure out what you need to do on your own host, and you'll be turning domain hosting off, rather than on.

Also, it may be helpful if you provide a link to your site so we can see what's going on.

4. Cheryl53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Am determined to make it work

I am embarrassed at my website right now as I have lots to work on. It is www.cmjyorkies.com. I like to do things myself but realistically do not have much spare time to do so. I have read some of the articles on Rage and know what I need to do. I am just spoiled as my other website is hosted by Bizland which is really super easy. I do not like having Register's ads on my site and am looking at getting a new hosting company anyway. Some hosting sites are not apple friendly and I have hit some stumbling blocks. I also might add that I am 150 miles away from an Apple store and there are no people in my area that can help.

Do you really think that if I get some of the Rage products they will help me. I see I can get hosting from them also. I really need to get more of a professional website that will work for me.

I got my macbook because I was tired of dealing with all the virus attacks. I love it but must admit it would have been easier if I had never operated a windows based pc.

I will study up some more and try what was suggested. Thanks.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I haven't used Rage so can't speak to that. I'm not really much of a fan of iWeb myself, simply because of the way I'm used to do web page creation. It's kind of like your statement that Mac would probably be easier to use if you hadn't used Windows before.