Site Crique and maybe a tester or two

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kremer4, Mar 20, 2009.

1. kremer4 macrumors member

So I created a website for Import Car Fans using Vbulletin and Vbadvanced.
    I would like some honest input on the layout and ease of use of the forum. Also I would love to have some people sign up and test out the Garage, Arcade, Classifieds, Chat, etc.

I'm pretty sure the arcade and chat sections are working but the Garage was the most complicated for me to integrate.

The url is www.importcarforums.com

Oh and the site is running on Leopard Server :D

2. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I spend a lot of time on an import car community forum so I took a quick look at the site. Here are some of my comments...

First, I like the color scheme and theming of the site. Clean and simple.

How successful do you think you will be by making the site encompass ALL import cars. Its a huge group of people who don't necessarily have that much in common with each other. What value does a site like this bring to the import car community? Personally, I find myself drawn to car sites that are focused around a brand or subject matter (open ECU tuning, for example) so I can learn from people with more experience and share my experience with others.

On your site I am not sure I would find that much valuable info in your technical forums as they pertain to many types of cars. Perhaps the technical forums should be sub-forums of each marque?

I entered my car in the garage... some of the questions seemed a bit redundant... if I tell you my make, model and year you should populate information such as engine type, etc. etc. If I have major modifications like an engine swap I could then make those later in the mods area.

I spend most of my time on an auto enthusiast website where many members build's are quite expensive (20k+). I am not so sure that you want to be so public with mod. costs, etc. etc. etc.

I also don't understand the "rating" area... this is entirely subjective and I am not sure of its use. Rated against what?

Do you see the garage area as a private resource? I could see value in a place where you can keep track of your build, but I would not want to make some of the information currently in it public.

I didn't get to far on the mod list, as it would take way too long :). I am assuming that manufacturers would be added to the database as people enter their data?

Make sure you have an entry in the "installed by" pulldown for self-installs. I would also put in an "installation difficulty" pulldown as I think that would be valuable information. Is that what you mean by "installation rating"?

I would strongly suggest you put either a time or post restriction (like 100 posts) on your "classified" section so it does not get filled with spam or scams. You want this to feel like a trusted community.

Actually, as I just looked closer, it seems you have forums for domestic cars too! This is a bit confusing looking at your title! I actually assumed "import" to mean "japanese" cars.

So.. in short.. I think the site is a nice idea and a nice implementation... but I think that your audience is too large -- in fact you have several audiences, many of whom, as car enthusiasts, don't get along all that well! :D. I would suggest you focus on a specific market or group. Then I think the site would function very well.

Interestingly enough, there are lots of mac users in the built Subaru community.

3. kremer4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Lucid for the great feedback.

I made changes based on your feedback.