Site Critique Plus a couple Questions.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ddoonie, Jun 1, 2009.

1. ddoonie macrumors regular

Good day,

I just wanted some feedback on a site a friend needed done. I am far from a professional, but I try to do anything I do well. The link is here http://tr.im/ncyd

I haven't setup all of the links etc... just more of a general feedback/layout critique requested.

I do not hand code, as this is obviously not my profession. I am using photoshop/fireworks/dreamweaver to construct this site. I used browsershots to check my site on multiple browsers and all appear fine, but when i load using my firefox, layout is off. When I load the site from my harddrive & dreamweaver, everything is fine... Any thoughts? Does the layout appear ok on your side?

Another question is regarding my navigation. Is there a way to define these link different from the whole body? Basically how can I do what I want to do to them (hover, blah blah) without the use of images? Say I want each to hover as a different colour.

Any other feedback is welcome! I am trying to understand the nuances of handcoding, but it is quite a journey.

How am I doing thus far?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's ok if the browser window is the proper size, but when you resize the browser window things start to go wonky. Try enclosing everything in a "content" div with a fixed width. The map and contact info divs can be positioned inside the master div.

Yes. Just assign them a class.

You also seem to have 2 validation errors. Copy/paste your code into the HTML validator and you should be able to fix them quite easily.

Are you using a template?

3. ddoonie thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your reply.

No its not a template, I am designing it from scratch. I'm creating individual graphics in photoshop, importing them to fireworks for layout and text. From there I export to css, and open up in dreamweaver. I then just tweak the css a bit. Is it bad that it gave you the impression of being a template?

Will try to sort out the positioning though, and learn how to use the classes properly!

Thanks again. do you have any design critiques?

ps. worked out the link classes a.one:hover{....}, is there a way to make it stay the same colour as hover while on that particular page? I believe with graphics it would be in the onload or something like that? Thanks again. I attempted a:focus, with no success...

4. ddoonie thread starter macrumors regular

Is this possible with css? (current page link highlighted...)