Site Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Niwa Rose, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Niwa Rose macrumors newbie

Niwa Rose

Hello all. I'm an inspiring Web Developer who has recently obtained my first client; that was a few months ago. I'm pretty much done with the site, but I would like some critique on it. www.emtcpr.com/new

Thanks a lot!

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think it looks pretty nice. Something is wrong with the About Us page though. It cuts off instead of scrolling.

3. Niwa Rose thread starter macrumors newbie

Niwa Rose

Weird. May I ask what your browser is and your OS?

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Sorry, I should have mentioned. I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.2 and the latest version of Firefox.

Here is a clipped screenshot of what I mean.

clip.png

I'm not very clued into HOW sites are designed so I can't be of much help in the solution but I thought I'd point it out.

5. Niwa Rose thread starter macrumors newbie

Niwa Rose

Ah, your browser must be over riding the font size that I have declared in the css. I'll just have to increase the height.

Thanks for pointing it out. ^^

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Same issues for me (with same config) as described above. But apart that it's fine I think. Well done.

7. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

The graphics are a bit rough around the edges and the text is small. Bit if it's your first try it's not to bad as I have seen much worse on here.

8. 7031 macrumors 6502

Pretty damn good although I would remove the "Main Menu" text and the full screen button on the slideshow.

9. JohnDoe8450 macrumors member

Ok, my comments...

Get rid of the "Main menu" text, it's pointless. If people can't tell where your menu is, you're doing it wrong.

The flash image thing could be done with javascript. I suggest avoiding flash whenever you can.

Make the title of the page (which appears on the browser's window) include the company's name.

Learn PHP for server-side includes.

And, "... I'll just have to increase the height. ..." WHAT? You have your heights set as absolute values in your CSS??? That's not recommended... Your height should be fluid!

10. Niwa Rose thread starter macrumors newbie

Niwa Rose

Thanks much. :)

Do you have any tips for the graphics? ^^
    I've already fixed the text on the copy I have on the computer. I was just playing around with the "em" attribute for the font size. xD
    Thanks very much. ^^

Will do! Thanks for the input. ^^

Will do. ^^

Wouldn't flash work on a wider audience than JavaScript?

Aye captain!

I'm working on JavaScript and PHP right now. ^^ I'm a little fuzzy on what server-side includes mean however.

Well I did that because I couldn't get each of the three columns to correspond with each other. The right sidebar might be longer than the left and the content, the content might be longer than the sidebars and so on; because I have the sidebars of a different color, that is a major problem. I did look into a JavaScript solution; however, I haven't been able to get it to work. Do you have any recommendations how to have the height of my sidebars dependent on the height of my content?

Thanks for your input. ^^ It's really much appreciated.

11. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

Nope - Javascript is much more accepted than Flash. Plus, Flash isn't iPhone-friendly :)

12. JohnDoe8450 macrumors member

Basically, they let you have an index.php file which contains the nav, header, footer, etc... and include other files as the main content. So you don't have the menu hard coded in 6 different files.

Have a look at the file I attached (change extension to .html). Change the heights of the different columns, the footer will follow the longest and the container div will include all of them.
    If you want the background colors to go all the way down to the footer, as have the red, blue and green in my example make it to the black footer, just don't give them any backgrounds and have the container div have a background image which repeats vertically and has the three colors.
    Ok, that wasn't very clear... Look up what's called the "Faux-Column" technique.

Attached Files:

13. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

go ion the internet and find some really good layouts, try to make yours look like theirs just for practice. Also turn up the resolution in the graphics program you are using. If your using photoshop then I would export PNG 24 bit, that will help keep clarity and make file size better.

14. JohnDoe8450 macrumors member

The big advantage I see in PNG is transparency. Otherwise, very high quality JPG or PNG look basically the same. Just don't use low quality JPG. And well, gif I never personally use... especially not animated ones XD

And yeah, How I work when I'm building a website is I'll build the whole thing in photoshop and then take out the pieces I need as I build the layout with CSS. The fine tuning of the text and typography I do with CSS, as the browser doesn't render fonts the same way photoshop does.

For inspiration, look up best-of lists of website designs. Here are a few from my bookmarks :
    http://www.webdesignerwall.com/trends/2008-design-trends/
    http://www.webdesignerwall.com/trends/30-examples-of-attractive-nav/
    http://www.webdesignerwall.com/trends/best-of-css-design-2008/
    http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/01/14/web-design-trends-for-2009/
    http://www.thebestdesigns.com/archive/?pg=2&c=typography
    http://dzineblog.com/2008/06/27-dark-website-designs.html

BTW : For your images you could try this :
    http://smoothgallery.jondesign.net/what/

15. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Hey, I think you are off to a great start here. It looks like you are getting plenty of suggestions in this thread, so I'll just post a couple random things that no one has mentioned yet:

- From a design perspective, always make sure that you maintain the aspect ratio of the image you are resizing. Many of your images look squished or stretched. This is important, and I would go back through and replace all of the photographic images on your site. This is marring an otherwise clean and respectable layout.

- I personally think that the "valid html, css" message is superfluous. I think opinions may differ on that, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't really think any users care about that, so why clutter up your site with it? I mean, sometimes you need to put in invalid code to get the results you need, so whey tie yourself down? I'm pretty good about valid xhtml, but I have definitely been known to use css hacks to target Safari and things like that. Should be rare, but you do what you gotta do, you know?

Okay thats my 2 cents. Looking good though!

16. Niwa Rose thread starter macrumors newbie

Niwa Rose

Ah, okay. ^^

Ooh, okay. ^^ That kinda makes sense.

I never thought of using a background image. :eek:

Aye, thanks. ^^

Aye, will do. ^^

Right, right. I suppose you're right. ^^

17. Niwa Rose thread starter macrumors newbie

Niwa Rose

Okay, I've updated the site. ^^

www.emtcpr.com/grey

New Header Design
    Java Script Sideshow
    Variable Height
    Optimized Photos
    New Footer Content

I have some problems though. D: The JavaScript Slideshw doesn't show up in IE.

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That is not what a server side include is.

This is what server side includes are.