Site critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by besler3035, Mar 14, 2010.

1. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

We're in the middle of a redesign of our website right now, trying to be cleaner and offer more information to our customers. We'll also be introducing a blog and more work samples.

Looking at our current site though, http://mindutopia.com, what are your thoughts in regards to the content and design? What needs to definitely be changed and what doesn't? We're hoping for this new design to last us a while, and I want to get it right.

Thanks for the advice.

2. 7031 macrumors 6502

I actually really like your current design, but what I would consider is maybe making the text at the top on the front page more prominent, since it didn't really grab my attention immediately.

Also I would try to make it more clear as to what industry your business works in, since I didn't find this to be immediately obvious to me, and I believe you could lose potential customers in that way, since it's all too easy for people to just click the back button and leave.

I would also make the navigation links in the top right corner larger, since I didn't even notice them at first glance.

One test I would suggest with designs is to get a user who hasn't seen your design before, flash it at them for a split second and afterwards ask them what they noticed about it. This may help you to know which areas you need to work on making more prominent.

I'm not really sure what advice to give, but overall I'd say it's a very good design.

3. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

i really like the website you have now, except two small things on the front page: the wavy separator lines that go above and below the project images (i just think they would look better if they were straight), and "what's on your mind" is a bit too dark in contract to the text that's over it. other than that i think it looks good. if i was to change anything, i'd probably add some more color to it (probably menu + sticky footer).

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I really like your design but you have quite a few validation errors (validator.w3.org). Also, on larger monitors, the footer just ends and has a white border at the bottom instead of extending all the way to the end of the website (see attachment image).

Attached Files:

5. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, this is definitely one of the things that's going to be completely re-worked and fixed. So far, on our new design that we've started, I've got complete HTML and CSS validation too :)

6. Lithium. macrumors newbie

Looks awesome - well done :)

I noticed the twitter link is broken:

Code:
    <a class="twitterfeed" href="http://www.twitter.com/mindutopiacom"</a>

7. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Works fine on my end; I know Twitter was having some problems earlier though.

8. nelsencaleb macrumors regular

Isn't that a run on sentence. I'm pretty sure you need a , somewhere in there. I think you should replace the first sentence with:

Here at mindutopia we design creative and innovative graphics, and websites.

Also I don't really think the customer cares if you were the most popular kids in school or the least popular. That sort of makes the text there a bit useless.

Other than that, I think the site looks great. Good luck to future success:D.

9. aixporter macrumors member

aixporter

10. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Most of the headlines will be changing with the new design, and our "teaser text" on the homepage will be as well (hence no more run-on).

Basically, the new site will be a perfected version of the same content, but with a new, freshened up design.

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i wish you would not put the 'whats on your mind' behind the paragraph.

its cool but i mean.. idk would look sleeker with out it. plus.. the homepage is the only page that uses it.

also not a big fan of a:hovers that are lighter. the dotted underline to solid feels weird.

also kind of weird - when you click on a specific project - it takes you to the projects page, instead of that specific project.

12. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Quite nice. You might consider a bit of semantic markup (especially headings) for SEO purposes.

13. Lithium. macrumors newbie

I meant you were missing the closing symbol for the A tag:

Code:
    >