Site for class project

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eleven2brett, Oct 30, 2009.

1. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Hey everyone,
    I'm building a website for a presentation I'm doing for a business class.The project was to come up with ways of saving a dying appliance company. The site is really just a "hey, I went out of my way" sort of thing, so it's not meant to be perfect, but I do want it to be presentable.

I'm having big problems though in IE and Safari with my navigation bar, it's not displaying at all. However, everything works well in Firefox.

http://bakeandfreeze.net/index.html

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Usually Firefox has a nice way of rendering invalid HTML, but Safari and IE fail at it. I think there is something syntax wise that is wrong. Rewrite your HTML and see if it still does it.

PS. Try removing line-height from CSS and see what it does.

3. eleven2brett thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip! Your right, my code is probably a mess.

4. wdonegan macrumors newbie

Simple Fix

Just remove the space between "--" and ">" in your <!-- Navigation -- > comment.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

This is not just for the OP, but GENERAL advice to help any developer avoid situations like this:

The first thing you always do is W3C validate both the HTML and the CSS to ensure no errors. Clean code is essential to proper rendering across a multitude of browsers. Spend the time. After fixing any errors and revalidating, step two is to check the site in a multitude of browsers, i.e. at browsershots.org. After doing that and identifying which browsers look odd enough to warrant code changes then you deal with browser quirks. By that I mean CSS issues such as implementing reset.css as the highest level style sheet, then if absolutely necessary adding any CSS conditionals or CSS intended for specific browsers.

Stay away from CSS3 - it's not standardized yet.

As to "fixing" validation errors, that requires research i.e. using Google to find solutions, checking references for tags, attributes and so on, and of course asking questions on forums like this!

-jim

ps: OP: You have 9 errors in your HTML and 2 in your CSS - regardless of any specific fixes posted by others - always validate!

http://validator.w3.org/

6. eleven2brett thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help! Like i said, I wasn't out to make the site perfect, or even good. I just wanted a "website".

-SrWebDeveloper: I actually did run validation on my code, because I'd seen the recommendation a ton on this forum. I just decided it really wasn't worth the time to go through and figure out what all the errors were because I had barely started the rest of my project. I appreciate the help though. I know that if I ever want to make a site seriously, I will go through and validate all my code.