Site Path not correct

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by michaelsviews, Apr 23, 2009.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Actually, you want http://michaelsviews.com/

The link you included here results in file not found, when I went to the above link it dumped an index listing which included "index.html" which takes you to your page when clicked. This means your Apache web server isn't set correctly to automatically serve files such as index.html when accessing a directory.

Also, you uploaded the public_html file which is a copy of your site already in the document root, when you should have uploaded only the contents within it. This caused the whole issue, probably. Even so, you still want users to access only via domain name, so remove the public_html folder on the server only and then do this in your Apache config:

In the global config of httpd.conf add "index.html" to the "DirectoryListing" directive, i.e.

After you make the change restart Apache for the change to take effect.

-jim

3. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for the reply, the one problem was that the FTP part of iWeb is the culprit according to Apple and what I went through with them on Friday evening, I went through there publish to a folder and than to there FTP site, / web test site and it was still not working , there answer was to use a 3rd party FTP package? , as for your editing the other files mentioned I'll look at that but doubt it since I am on a shared hosting package.

Thank you for the reply though , I appreciate it sincerely.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Fetch is a popular 3rd party FTP app for Mac.

If you cannot edit the Apache config, ask them to tell you what filename you can use which will auto-load in a directory and simply rename index.html to that. I find it surprising index.html does not work by default, you might want to try index.htm (without the "l" on the end) as an experiment and see if that works, if you have a tough time with your web host on this one.

-jim

5. jakeOSX macrumors regular

actually I clicked the index.html file and it sent me here:

http://michaelsviews.com/My_Site/Welcome.html

so i downloaded it and looked at it. it is not HTML, but XML. I suspect that this is the real reason:

(line breaks mine)
    and that the server doesn't know what to do when that is the index.html file. try making just a vanilla HTML file for Index.html and see if that works.

if that doesn't work, then yes contact your host. index.html has been the standard for years now (kicked ye' ol' default.htm out a while ago)

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

More accurately it's XHTML, which is what iWeb outputs for all iWeb pages. That index page is simply a redirect and looks correct for iWeb so it is not the problem.

OP should check out this article if the site is hosted on MobileMe.
    For non-MobileMe check this article.

7. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you all for the reply's , at current this is what Apple sent and my hosting company is looking into things again.

This is an issue with the web server's configuration. Most web servers are set to load the index.html file by default, and many have a list of several "starting" files that it looks for in order, and only displays a directory listing if none of them are found. He will need to contact his web host and ask them about this error; it is not anything we can resolve on our end, and they will probably need to fix the settings on the server.

8. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

That's exactly what I said, for crying out loud. Re-read reply #2 and #4 in this topic - it spells out EXACTLY what you or the webhost needs to do so as not to repeat myself. This is a simple issue to resolve. If I had felt the redirect XHTML was an issue, I would have mentioned it.

9. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

The host would not change anything, and I did as Apple specified, thanks to all that replied.

And SrWebDeveloper, you mite want to watch your tone on replies because the above can be taken different ways.................

10. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Since Apple couldn't help (as expected) and now you say your webhost isn't helping (this part is not expected) let me offer some additional tips to resolve your issue:

If your webhost is NOT willing to add index.html to list of filenames specified in the Apache "DirectoryListing" command, then ask for a tech manager and ask them to tell you the filenames that are there. Simply rename your index.html to any of those filenames, case sensitive, problem solved. I suggested earlier trying index.htm (without the L on the end) which some webhosts use. Other uses posted alternatives, try all. In the end if that fails then drop the webhost or live with the original URL that works:

http://michaelsviews.com/My_Site/Welcome.html

I would like to point out you are a paying customer of the webhost, they should change it for you or at least tell you what filename to use - such requests are not over the top or uncommon. I'd personally drop them if they didn't at least tell me what filename to use. I'd also demand an explanation why. I they claim security, they're clueless - drop them.

Don't you want to be able to use just your domain name on all your print media, business cards, links on other sites, publications, etc., etc.? It's not just your right, it's sensible to get this basic, simple stuff working.

As to your comment to me:

I did not advise you to contact Apple, you went in a large, unnecessary circle. Hmmm....

Nobody says you have to do what is suggested here or can't try things on your own (i.e. clicking on index.html), that was not what bothered me when I responded last. What upset me was not being acknowledged directly, and moving on to those other things (that turned out to be irrelevant) without an attempt to try the advice given. Even newbies with zero technical skills at least say, "Thanks, I'll check it out", first, before straying. Come on.

11. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Good Luck and this post is CLOSED