Site Won't Load (Unless through proxy)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Snipeye, May 4, 2010.

1. Snipeye macrumors newbie

Snipeye

So we recently got a new network setup, faster, better, etc. It worked fine for quite a while, and I'm still not sure that is the cause of this, but something's gone wrong:

I can no longer ping or access one of the sites I often visit except through a proxy. I cleared the dns cache this morning, which seemed to work, but when i came back to it later today, it failed once again. The proxy I use continues to work, but directly attempting to access the side always fails.

I've tried lookupd -flushcache several more times, but to no avail. Nobody on the LAN can access the site in question. Any other advice?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What site? It's possible that your IP has been banned server-side.

3. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Have you checked your router to see if it is using a trusted computing blacklist that is auto-updated? If it is that website may have been placed on the black list, by error maybe?

It has been a long time since I have used anything but an Apple router, but it seems like the old, I mean old, Linksys routers used to have something like that.

4. Snipeye thread starter macrumors newbie

Snipeye

My IP has not been banned, I know this for a fact - I'm on very good terms with the owner. My current router setup looks like this:

Cable - new modem - voip - airport extreme base station - a. 2 computers, b. router
    router goes to a. printer, b, router
    router goes to 3 computers.

Sorry if that's a bit weird, but that's what it is. It's worked in the past, and router settings haven't changed - I don't think it's that, so it seems like a dns issue. I can't ping the site, every other site is working fine, (or at least I haven't found another faulty one yet) but I CAN access the site through a proxy. Thanks for the help so far, but no cigar yet.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Is this a personal network, or a work network? If work, then perhaps they have blocked access to that site. They do that constanty here at my work, facebook, myspace, etc.. are blocked because they are considered time wasters.

If it's personal, then definitely check your router settings.

6. Snipeye thread starter macrumors newbie

Snipeye

It is a personal network - never had any issues before. It's my home network...

I'll look through the router settings, but if they've worked with this setup in the past, and nothing has changed, why would they stop working?

7. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

If you suspect a DNS issue, have you changed DNS providers, Google or Level3?

I'll tell you one of my boneheaded moves. I changed internet providers, I forgot that I had put the old provider's DNS server addresses in the AEBS. I pulled hair for 3 days :)

Good luck with your issue!

edit: You said you knew the website owner. Have they made any hosting changes in the past few days, if they have it could be a simple DNS table propagation issue and may clear up soon.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, contact the owner. Even if you weren't deliberately banned, it's possible that you have been inadvertently blocked by a server firewall or something.

9. Snipeye thread starter macrumors newbie

Snipeye

I'm not banned, I had my friend check.

As for DNS issues, I have not changed it recently, and the DNS should not have changed because I got a new modem/router - it's the same ISP. Any other options?

Sorry for the double post, but I've made progress.

I changed my DNS from... whatever it was, don't know offhand, to openDNS (208.67.222.222) and now it works. This is troubling to me... my DNS has ALWAYS worked, and it works well. I like it. I'm kind of inexperienced at this, is there any way I can contact my DNS provider? I want to use my original one, because it worked excellently, but I also want to be able to access this website...

10. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

If you were using the DNS provided by your internet provider like Time Warner Cable, Cox Cable, Sprint, AT&T, or such then contact technical support for your internet service provider and have them open a ticket for DNS translation error. I have done this several times with my ISP and they manually update the table and all is good.