Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
This probably sounds stupid, but I am going to Syracuse and I wanted to know what is around there. I have two plans in mind. One, fly into Syracuse and just motor around and stay in Syracuse for a couple of days until I need to go to Utica or go straight to Utica and motor around. Since I am not familiar with the area at all, can anyone tell me what's around there? Is it photo worthy?

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
During the summer there are a bunch of areas to hike around. There is a little waterfront area outside of Syracuse called Skaneateles that I think has some quaint touristy shops and restaurants.

Downtown the Armory area is pretty cool with a bunch of good bars and restaurants with trendy shopping.

One of the best parts about Syracuse is that they have Wegmans. Wegmans is an incredible grocery store that has great prepared foods too.

I've mostly hung out with friends when I visit so I couldnt tell you a whole lot more. A quick google check brought this: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/6c2af/cddb9/

If you are not set in actually staying in Syracuse then Ithaca and Corning are pretty cool/quaint places too. Watkins Glen is very cool and has a great hike through a gorge. These are all at least 2 hours away from Syracuse - in the wrong direction from Utica.

Have fun.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
If you do wind up in Ithaca, two great restaurants:

Just a Taste (Tapas and Wine Bar)

Maxies (Cajun ... best sweet potato fries in the world)

The woman and I love food, and these are the two restaurants that we hold every other restaurant against. There's good food in Providence and Hartford, but nothing as good as these two places!

The gorges are worth checking out in Ithaca, and a walk around Cornell can be nice.

Phat Elvis said:
One of the best parts about Syracuse is that they have Wegmans. Wegmans is an incredible grocery store that has great prepared foods too.

After four years in Ithaca, I got really sick of it. But besides the two restaurants I mentioned above, I really miss Wegmans! All the groceries you need, great layout, and knockout sushi ...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Sounds good. Anything really revolving around food is of no interest to me. I have a very strict diet and I usually stick around salads and fruit which is really mixing it up for me. ;)
But in all seriousness, I'm sure I'll find something to do. I was just hoping someone doesn't say that Syracuse is like the ghetto or something. hah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.