Sites look weird on several browsers

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by lpfmfan, May 1, 2010.

1. lpfmfan macrumors newbie

First, I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place...
    I'm not sure if it's my macbook, but I work with websites a lot and this color thing is really bothering me--it's kinda hard to explain but when I go to some websites the colors are weird. For example: I'll make a header for my websites but when I get the hex color code for the entire background (from photoshop) it appears right but and when I view it on my other computer (not Apple) it looks perfectly fine but when I view it on Safari, Firefox, and Chrome (all on my macbook) it looks like it's a different color. I've attached pictures so you can understand me...it didn't look like this before, the pictures I've attached you should see that the colors look off, and the background image is a different colors than the background and header (I hope that made sense). It annoys me because I work with websites often and I use a plugin (in firefox) to tell me what background color I should use for the background but most of the time it's wrong and my friend tells me that the site looks weird to her. But it looks fine to me...can someone help me identify the problem? Please.

First pictures is Chrome, second is Firefox, third is Safari.

I'm talking about the colors, look at the background then the header...you'll see it's a different color

Attached Files:

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah, there's a guy wearing basketball shorts in what looks like a band photo. I agree, it looks weird.
    :p

3. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

My eyesight isn't the greatest, but they all look the same to me.

bigger pictures would help

Since you're looking over two different computers, monitor calibration is a factor and probably why they look different.

Update: OH!!! never mind, are there not supposed to be sidebars? on the left and right

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Your missing the alignment of the background picture, the menus, the general disarray.

5. lpfmfan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not talking about the sidebars, I'm talking about the colors only...
    I've attached a screenshot (zoomed in) hopefully you understand what I mean..
    on the left it's a darker color blue (in this case) that's the background image and the right it's a lighter blue (which I think is normal)

Attached Files:

• bg.png
      bg.png
      File size:
      6.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Ah, ok, so basically theres two shades, when it should be just one shade of blue right?

7. lpfmfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes! :D I'm glad you got it now, it's been hard to explain, lol.

It should be one shade of blue, but for some reason it looks like that on my macbook, on my windows XP it looks perfectly fine (on my friend's computer too). At first I thought it was my browser (firefox) because I believe it all started when I upgraded versions, then I realized it's also on Safari...so I thought it was just those two. Finally my friend convinced me to download Google Chrome because she said she doesn't have that problem, I did and I still have it so I'm guessing it's not the browsers at all but my macbook. Any idea why it's doing this? It's rather annoying because I have to use hex colors codes all the time (using colorzilla on firefox add-on).

8. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

That is wierd...the only time I've experienced something like that was on a poster I was making....well the only thing I can really suggest is to not use colorzilla from now on but instead to select your colors directly from photoshop or this great little online tool adobe put together.

I'm guessing that colorzilla just somehow misinterpreted whatever you were trying sample but why don't you post your code so we can all be sure.

9. haydn! macrumors 6502a

It might be down to what type of images you're using. Some browsers render colours different across different image types. For example if your header is a jpg and the background is gif then they won't always match.

10. thecheda macrumors 6502

Band

Browser testing is the worst.

Linkin Park fansite?

11. lpfmfan thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand, but I make my images and I save them all in .png, this didn't happen before by the way...just a while ago it started happening...

I don't think it's just cororzilla...I mean if I can take a screenshot of my problem then I'm guessing it's my computer that's doing it...I really wish I had a solution to why my computer is doing this. It's so annoying :/

I don't think it's my browser now...I think it's my macbook :/

And sorta, lol. I own a Mike Shinoda (of Linkin Park) fansite but the screenshots from above are from another website I own, just has a Linkin Park layout, haha.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Find a utility to strip out color profiles from images.

13. lpfmfan thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the late response, but where do i find that?