Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Sorry for the exclamation but this is getting entirely too frustrating and a previous thread didn't solve anything.

Essentially, sites that I choose to stay logged in at such as MacRumors and other forums are not staying logged in like they used to. It seems like this behavior has become increasingly prevalent since my update to 10.5.6, but I can't fully attribute it to that being the cause. No matter what I've tried, it clears things out on a random basis.

It does it after shut downs, hibernation, you name it. It used to only do it if I told it to in programs like Onyx but since I don't run that program often at all, that's not the cause of it.

Is there a Safari setting I'm missing? I know it's not hard to just log in, but it's a convenience thing with me (and I'm sure many others).

Ideas? Fire away!

Ian
:confused:

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Accepting Cookies is set to "Only to sites you navigate to". I assume this is fine as I navigate to these sites myself...

hughvane

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
Accepting Cookies is set to "Only to sites you navigate to". I assume this is fine as I navigate to these sites myself...
This takes a bit of explaining, bear with me ... I had an almost identical experience - and with this forum. The only difference was that I was not timed out unless I left the site for a long time, something like an hour, can't quite remember. I asked admin for assistance but they were unable to help.

I don't use Safari, but FFox, so please keep that in mind re the cookies. I refuse all cookies unless I'm asked each time, an option that Safari doesn't provide. Thinking, as rjs has suggested, that it was a cookies issue, I deleted all macrumors cookies from FF and logged in again. No, that didn't cure it.

Part II of the problem was that any time I tried to attach a pic or doc, I was told I didn't have authority or permission, something like that, and that I must log in to complete the process, even though I'd already logged in to the main page.

And this is where the solution occurred. Just on a hunch I changed the cookie setting to Accept (from macrumors) and THEN logged in to attach a .jpg. Since that time I've not had a recurrence of the login and time-out issue.

I suggest you post about something with your Mac and attach a screenshot. See if you get the 'permission' warning, requiring you to log in again, even though you've done so for the main forum page. Here's hoping it works!

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
I too have the same problem as MadDog, it has only started occurring recently.
(I think it was when I updated Firefox, as I sometimes use both to see a few websites that Safari doesn't show properly).

vpjayant

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2007
Check to ensure your cookies are enabled and try repairing permissions.

Sorry for the exclamation but this is getting entirely too frustrating and a previous thread didn't solve anything.

Essentially, sites that I choose to stay logged in at such as MacRumors and other forums are not staying logged in like they used to. It seems like this behavior has become increasingly prevalent since my update to 10.5.6, but I can't fully attribute it to that being the cause. No matter what I've tried, it clears things out on a random basis.

It does it after shut downs, hibernation, you name it. It used to only do it if I told it to in programs like Onyx but since I don't run that program often at all, that's not the cause of it.

Is there a Safari setting I'm missing? I know it's not hard to just log in, but it's a convenience thing with me (and I'm sure many others).

Ideas? Fire away!

Ian
:confused:

Is it with all sites? Some sites seem to not like Safari cookies (Facebook).

Make sure that private browsing is off.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I had this problem with facebook and safari for a long time. I downgraded from the developers beta to version 3 and it fixed my problems.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
I, too, have had this problem lately, on both of my Macs, but only in Safari. I browse using Safari, FireFox and Internet Explorer (on my PC), and Safari's the only one that's made me lose my cookies. I'm not exactly sure what's causing it, but I think it could have to do with the most recent OS X update, as I didn't have any trouble before that.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Same problem here. When using Safari, cookies just seem to clear on their own. Randomly. Very annoying. At least it's good to see others are having the same problem. If it's happening to you, please be sure to report the problem to Apple. Hopefully a fix will be coming soon.

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
I've been having the same issue as well with Safari, but not other browsers, I think it coincided with 10.5.6

and thanks for that feedback URL, however, I don't see Safari listed on it. :(

Randy

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I've been having the same issue as well with Safari, but not other browsers, I think it coincided with 10.5.6

and thanks for that feedback URL, however, I don't see Safari listed on it. :(

Randy

You don't need the URL go into the safari menu at the top left. then report bugs to apple. Do it on a page that has the issues. ;)

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Trainguy - I did that for one page that I frequently log onto and it is not keeping me logged in. But the problem is that this is a general bug not a page specific issue, I'm not about to send 20 bug reports a day for all the sites/pages that it gives issue - and to the best of my knowledge the bug report tool is more geared towards a specific page not a general issue.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Solution (hopefully)

Had same problem; mine was being caused because i had webclips in my Dashboard. Removed them and all works fine now - i know it sounds odd but i've tested it quite a bit (by putting them back in etc) and it definately seems to be the cause...

btw - it's not my solution; apologies to whoever found it first i just came across the fix on the net somewhere i can't even remember where (or the name of the poster); i dismissed at first thinking it was silly, but remembered it and tried it out of sheer desperation and it worked for me.
I've posted a bug report to apple.

Hopefully this is the reason for everyone elses problems... Fingers crossed :)

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
I do have a webclip on my dashboard, but I have the issue even before Dashboard ever fires up.

did you just remove the webclip or do you have to somehow delete it from the drive? if so where can it be found?

Thanks

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I do have a webclip on my dashboard, but I have the issue even before Dashboard ever fires up.

did you just remove the webclip or do you have to somehow delete it from the drive? if so where can it be found?

Thanks

It causes it even if you never open Dashboard, just the mere existance of a webclip in your dashboard seems to cause it; I just opened dashboard, removed the webclip, then went to macrumours, logged in, since then no problems, reload safari, reboot... All working fine again! Very odd bug, and a very frustrating one too!

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
unfortunately, removing the webclip from my dashboard, rebooted - and absolutely no improvement whatsoever. I can't stay logged into most sites for more than a few minutes, back to Camino for a while.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
unfortunately, removing the webclip from my dashboard, rebooted - and absolutely no improvement whatsoever. I can't stay logged into most sites for more than a few minutes, back to Camino for a while.

Sorry to hear it's not help you... You must have a different problem to me... Hope you find a solution soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.