Sitting amongst other iPhone owners drives me crazy!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeyondtheTech, Jul 13, 2010.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

A number of us at work have personal iPhones. All different generations. We love it.

We all get emails. The subtle yet unmistakeable, natively uncustomizable, and only available sound effect that ALL iPhones make when we receive an email make each of us jump and/or reach for our iPhones. As a previous BlackBerry owner that have felt "phantom" vibrations, I've also learned not to trust my sense of touch as much as I would my sense of hearing.

So, it's no consequence that I must rant and say that after four generations of OS, I think it's high time we get a customizable email sound effect without having to resort to jailbreaking (considering that the iPhone 4 is not yet even jailbreakable).

2. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I completely agree. I'd also love to have customizable text sounds. *Sigh* You would think after four phones, Apple would implement this.

3. lentus macrumors member

/signed
    it's not like it's a big deal to do either.

4. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Exactly! Maybe we'll see it in the next software update.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Think Different. Sound the Same.

I agree with the OP. No real reason why ringtones couldn't be customizable for any/all alerts

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Text message sound have been there sine 2.0, go into Setting>general> sounds> "new text message"

7. jordand321 macrumors member

Did you even read the thread?

8. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Amen, bruddah! The iPhone is the first phone I ever owned that didn't let me customize email and text message sounds and I have phones sitting around here from at least 8 years ago.

9. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, even then, there are only SIX (6) choices for text message sounds.

10. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

There's a commercial that airs all the time here in St. Louis that's for some kind of text-to-save company, like send them a text and get special offers in return, etc. The phone they use to demo it is an iPhone, complete with sound effects, and without fail I reach for my phone every single time (I'm not usually watching TV, but rather half-assed listening to it while working). I feel like a fool every time.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

clearly he did not.

The fact that you can not put a custom sound in for email, txt messages is very sad. I love how on blackberry you can customize the sound and how it vibrates for everything. That is something the iPhone could REALLY learn from BB.

12. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Maybe this sounds a bit lame, but there's only a few reasons I'm tempted to jailbreak, and customizable sounds is one of those few.

Kinda wish it was something earth shattering, but there it is.

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

That's one of the same reasons I do it, too. That and rotating wallpapers. Dorky, sure, but it makes me happy. :)

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

To me, it's not much different from the white earbuds. People see you with those earbuds and they know that you have an iPhone or iPod. If they hear the distinct iPhone email or SMS tones, then they also know what device you have. Apple likes people being able to identify their products in the wild, and they like conformity. After all, it took 4 iterations of iOS (and undoubtedly a ton of complaining) for them to give us custom wallpaper.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

So which is it - do they like to think different or like conformity?

Sounds like when a pre-teen girl or boy says they want to be unique but wants to have a tattoo just like their friend - or the same clothes, etc.

Originality... LOL... I guess Apple defines it differently.

16. Fidget08 macrumors regular

Fidget08

Cell phones from the early 2000s could have customizable text ringtones. Why the iPhone doesnt is beyond me. They work on the hardest stuff for their phones but leave out the most trivial and simple additions.

17. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I've never JB'd a phone yet, but I will with this one when it's available. Just for this and MyWi for the very occasional use of my wifi iPad. Nothing earth shattering here either. Ah, Apple, if you'd only include this stuff, we wouldn't be forced to drastic measures!