situation. Need powerful mac for audio production.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Feb 10, 2009.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Here's my dilemna I need a serious mac for music production. Im using a ton of soft synths for production and need serious power. although my current g5 does the trick. It does hiccup when i use the intense sample libraries such as Kontakt 3 and kontakt 2 with Logic Studio. forget about omnisphere my cpu shoots up.

I also connect my iphone to it and rip movies from handbrake to my iphone. It takes a day to rip a reg dvd. :mad:

My question is should i get a mac book pro or mac pro. I need serious power but something that is gonna last me at least five years. I don't wanna shell out the money for another mac in a couple of years. :cool:

I am really stuck on which one i should get. The macbook pro would make more sense because i could record on a fly using it with apogee duet. My thing is do these machines last as long as a mac pro and can it really handle on my soft synths...

help !!!!

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

If you want real power then a laptop isn't really going to cut it. The drives are slower (generally), less storage and ram capacity etc. If you want real power then look at the Mac Pro in a few months time.

3. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Mac pro sounds like a good choice if you got the money, it will last longer than the laptop. And you can upgrade the Mac Pro easier.

4. godaz macrumors regular

like said in previous posts The Mac Pro would be the best option, packs a punch and is easilly upgradeable.

5. Macmel macrumors 6502

Well, this is easy: if portability is a must (you really need a powerful computer to work while you travel), your only option is a MBP. If you are going to be working in your office, then buy the Mac Pro: much more powerful and easier to upgrade.

6. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmmm

i don't need the 8 core do i ...

i am interested in this machine. http://www.gainsaver.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?&CCode=1015^Apple&CCode=2665^Mac+Pro&PageIndex=0&PageMax=40&cICode=111545

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Refurb quad-core Mac Pros can be had for $2000 when they pop up. If you need a powerful machine, don't need eight cores, and are on a budget, that's tough to argue with.

8. cturgenson macrumors newbie

Gainsaver Scam

Avoid going to Gainsaver like Vampires to Garlic. I've done some homework on that site because I want to upgrade as well, however, Gainsaver has a sour reputation amongst MAC users. I've Googled them and checked out blogs and other MAC forums. Members of those sites (which I'm a member of them also)...almost ALL of them have reported their orders not shipped. Unit arrived D.O.A. and so forth. Gaisaver is not listed in any reputable phone directory. They are not listed in B.B.B. and one MAC Forum member reported calling them and having a Gainsaver C.S. rep say that their number is shared by other companies. To sum it up, there are red flags everywhere and I for 1 won't take that chance and neither should you.

In regards to your upgrading. All you may need is to upgrade your system. More memory. Faster drive with higher cache. Or maybe you can reconfigure your system to RAID class.

Right now, I'm still using my Power Mac Dual 2.7 for graphics work (CS3) and works great. I have the max RAM on it. Nvidia 6800 video card. 2 internal- 1 TB drive (7200 RPM and 32 MB Cache each), and I have 2 GLYPH external drives - configured for RAID, that connects to an eSATA card installed in my system. It didn't cost me as much if I were to buy a new system along with the cost of buying new peripherals.

If money is tight right now and your looking to save, upgrading your existing system is your best investment for now.

The best part is that if you need to upgrade to a MAC Pro (which you'll have to in the future), you can sell your existing system (if you take care of it) to offset the cost of a new one.

As far as getting a new system with power (if you must buy a new system) a desktop as opposed to a laptop is your best bet.

9. friareunuch macrumors member

I use a powerbook for audio production in pro tools, and it works like a charm. I've gotten 4.5 years out of it, though that is definitely pushing it. I run 32 tracks constantly though, as my sessions tend to be pretty track heavy, and my system never complains.

The portability of the laptop is clutch, but don't expect to get 5 years out of it. Really, I think buying every 3 years is good. I hate having no warranty coverage.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If your G5 is currently doing the trick you should be fine with any current Mac, even a Mini.