Six Core MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apphotography, Jan 6, 2015.

1. apphotography macrumors regular

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. apphotography thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't Broadwell a good candidate?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It certainly won't be around for Broadwell, and its quite possible Apple may never go that route (at least until Intel releases one as a default configuration).

Given that they went to dual core on the Mac Mini, I can't see them increasing the cores on the MBP line. Somewhat apples and oranges, I know but I think the philosophy of cutting back may be the cause and that may also affect future MBP designs.

5. Gav2k, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Intel do a few i7 mobile chips that have 6 cores but with a tdp of 140w its a bit of a monster.

Scrap that just re looked the speculated chips seem to be dropped.

6. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

7. mcarling macrumors 65816

Each Tick (such as Broadwell) approximately doubles the number of transistors per square centimeter. Intel could have offered 6-core mobile Broadwell chips if they had wanted to, but adding to the core count is not currently a strategic priority for Intel. The strategic priority that is taking advantage of most of the additional transistor count is improving the integrated GPU. Once the mobile discrete GPU market is dead (in a few years), then we can expect to see 6-core mobile CPUs with much larger cache sizes than we see now.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It can be a reality now, but there's no demand (or mainstream need) for six cores so Intel don't manufacture one.

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

10. apphotography thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, just thought it odd that four cores have been around so long now. Have you seen this crazy thing? It probably has 30 minutes battery life and burns your bollocks off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epfb0MfZdAQ