Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I’ve always maxed out my specs on new MBPs. I’ve been aware of heat and noise issues over the years. And my 2016 keyboard has unreliable E and 9 keys. So need an upgrade.

Regarding CPU/GPU, should I just go for the base model if I am mostly using Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Safari, Mail and Photos, and occasionally FCPX and Logic Pro X? I do tend to have a lot of menu bar items/background processes running but I’m not sure how well these will take advantage of extra cores.

Would I get similar performance and better thermals and battery with a six-core, base GPU for most of what I do?

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Only max out if you do a lot of compression/encoding/effects on longer form projects. Otherwise save your $$ as you might only save a few seconds here and there.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Unlike iPhones, which you may upgrde every year, Macbooks are like an every five year deal or something like that. So, don't shortchange yourself in that in two years, you realize you need more juice.

Reactions: Super Spartan

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
If it's only $200 difference, then you should max. You will get better resale value down the road too. So the actual cost is much less.

Reactions: Super Spartan

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
6-core will be fine but at the same time it does seem to ring true that processor dictates resale down the road...

I also am struggling with that decision knowing that the 6-core is WAY adequate for me. Still leaning that way, but...

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Thanks for your advice, everyone. So in theory, higher specced machines should not impact on battery or heat, due to their better efficiency. So it just comes down to $$$ and performance/resale in a few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.