Six-core retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by underblu, Aug 15, 2015.

1. underblu macrumors regular

With tha availability of 6 and 8 core chips I'd love to see a 6 or 8 core option for the next iMac refresh.

Has anyone successfully modded their existing retina iMac with a 6 or 8 core chip?

2. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Considering they are completely the wrong socket then don't see how anyone would have.

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Highly doubt 6 and 8 core CPUs are coming to iMac anytime soon.

4. Zdigital2015 macrumors newbie

As mcnallym pointed out, Intel's 6- and 8-core CPUs use a completely different socket (LGA1150 for the current iMac, LGA201-v3 for 6- and 8-core). In addition, the 6- and 8-core CPUs have way to high a TDP (130w-140w) than the highest end 4-core CPUs that are in the iMac (84w-88w), which means the iMac chassis couldn't get rid of that much heat before damaging it's internal components. As much as I'd like to see Apple provide a six- or eight- core BTO option for the iMac, a Mac Pro will most likely be your only option for the foreseeable future.

5. fathergll macrumors 6502a

What better way for to help cannibalize Mac Pro sales even more than for Apple to offer cutting edge 6- and 8-core CPUs in their iMac line! Sounds like a great move for Apple :)

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Why? Which software do you use that can use a six or eight core CPU's? Don't forget these are i7, so they also have hyperthreading. So a four core can handle already 8 threads, a six core 12, etc. More cores usually means lower Ghz.

I have worked at a high end architectural firm. Their best render boxes where (Dell) 4 core Xeons with a high end gpu with 8 GB of Ram, SSD scratch disc and a very fast network connection to a big SSD raid. They let them render all nigt long.
    It didn't make sense to use Xeons with more cores as they used to have 6 core Xeons. They where too expensive and the software almost never used it, more speed gains came from the higher Ghz of the 4 core and the beast of a GPU. These are render boxes, an iMac or any all in one isn't. That's why the MacPro exists and has ECC Ram.

Don't get me wrong, if affordable I would buy a 6-core iMac, just for bragging rights! ;)
    However, I already can't push my i7 to the limits.

7. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

Basic, common operations in Lightroom and FCP X take all available cores. Last night I exported to jpg the raw 42 megapixel photos from a single afternoon's shooting. All eight virtual cores on my top-spec 2013 iMac were maxed out, and it took several hours. If I had 16 or 32 cores, it would have used that.

Similarly, just applying common plugin filters or exporting in FCP X takes often takes all available cores.

Doing these common operations while watching the performance indicators in iStat Menus, etc. shows they are highly parallelized and CPU-bound, and the more cores the better.

8. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

9. PBMB macrumors regular

Well, you don't try hard enough. Many computer users are running multiple tasks at the same time today. And since OS X distributes the load across all system resources, this asks for more cores. Imagine for example compiling source code with Fink or Macports and converting some audio/photo/video in the background, while at the same time watching a video, browsing the web or listening to music. You can happily have a 6- or 8-core machine to handle the load, for the time it lasts at least.

But there is even consumer-grade software, like the Video Converter from iSkysoft, that will eat up all cores while applying a video transformation. This is not pro's work, it is not going to last for hours and I can imagine almost anyone doing it.

It is a pity that Intel's multicore chips come with incompatible sockets. On the positive side, the 4-core chips can reach higher frequencies than the n-core ones, n > 4.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you've seen the specs you've seen the price no chance apple will use those in the iMac.