Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macines

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
That's one of the poorest replies I have ever read. There were many statements, you have to be more specific if you're trying to make a point.

But don't bother, I don't really care either way.

seriously? i guess you never really read your own **** then, kiddo

i dont believe one word of it, do some reading up before you throw around advice

plusnq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
seriously? i guess you never really read your own **** then, kiddo

i dont believe one word of it, do some reading up before you throw around advice

Fabulous. You take exception to a paragraph of content and won't define what you think is inaccurate. Talk about a vague p*ssing contest. The least you can do is be specific with your objections.

Ryan0751

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Back on topic...

I got my 8-core, 32GB, D700, 1TB SSD in June, and my results are similar.

The nMP looks very cool, is unobtrusive on my desk, and runs completely silent. The only sound from my desk is from the external thunderbolt disk.

The machine is FAST and stable.

I came from running a late-2011 MBP (loaded) in clamshell mode with two thunderbolt displays. Clamshell mode became a little (though not a lot) annoying, and I didn't like the jet fans kicking on whenever doing anything CPU intensive.

I consolidated my setup can run everything on the nMP.

I will say, it's a LOT of power, more than I can use at most times. I can throw up VM's left and right, do my raw photo editing, music work, and all of it barely touches the machine. My occasional renders are one of the only things that peg the CPU, and I'm quite sure I haven't even come close to touching the GPU power.

I do wish Apple had something between the nMP and the Mac Mini. I use enough GPU where the mini's integrated graphics isn't quite good enough. An iMac would be OK, but I didn't really want the integrated display this time around.

So, while it was a LOT of money, I am still happy. And with this much power, I really shouldn't need to upgrade for 6 years, in which time I probably would have upgrade another machine at least once, bringing the cost a bit more into acceptable levels.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
If you folks are looking for DAS, check out Areca's line of TB enclosures. They seem to get really excellent reviews. Areca has TB1 and TB2 enclosures for 4 drive and 8 drive set ups.

IF* I end up with a MP, I'll most likely get the hex standard with 1 tb SSD and add 3rd party memory for 64 gigs.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Something I should add is that I wouldn't view them as gaming computers in any way, shape or form. Originally I thought about trying to justify the cost by having it do everything - including gaming. I decided instead to just get the computer anyhow and have a separate gaming rig, which was more expensive but a good choice.

I like to play a few games as relaxation, and all of them have Mac clients. Civ 5, Elder Scrolls and LOTRO. Unfortunately in the gaming world Mac users are second class citizens. In Elder Scrolls for example, I get (with maxed out settings) about 60 fps, which I'd consider minimum, on my PC. On the mac I get 30ish. Could be hardware differences, but due to other factors I think it's also lack of optimization. LOTRO is highly prone to crashing on the Mac, not good when you're in the middle of a fight. The one exception is Civ 5, I like it better on the Mac. I think it looks and plays slightly better.

Of course you can dual boot, but that would defeat my desire to have a stable platform I don't have keep setting up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.