Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of an effort to promote Apple Music on the PlayStation, Apple is offering PlayStation 5 owners up to six months of free access to the Apple Music streaming service.

apple-music-playstation-5.jpg

PlayStation 5 owners will need to sign into the PlayStation Network, download the Apple Music app, and follow the on-screen instructions to accept the offer. Users will need to sign in with an Apple ID or create one.

The PlayStation website suggests that gamers use Apple Music to create a personalized gaming playlist to listen to before, during, and after gameplay sessions.

The Apple Music promotion is only available on the PlayStation 5, and it has to be redeemed on a PlayStation 5 console. Only new and qualified returning subscribers to Apple Music can get free access, so this is not a deal that is available to current subscribers. New subscribers will receive six months of Apple Music, while returning subscribers will get five months.

Apple will be offering the deal until 11/15/24. After the six-month period expires, a subscription can be continued for $10.99 per month.

Article Link: Six Months of Free Apple Music Available to PlayStation 5 Owners

Sunset Cassette

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
Canada
Maybe others have had a different experience, but I personally find the Apple Music app on PS5 to be particularly sluggish, poorly designed/organized, and for whatever reason if I shuffle a playlist it will only play songs with titles that start with the letter A or B.

Cool promotion for those who are as of yet subscribed to the service, but if my first exposure to Apple Music was through PS5, I don't think my reception would have been particularly warm.

Bremse

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2020
Oh man I just resubscribed with a Best Buy offer through February. I hope I remember this one when mine runs out. Been using Apple Music for free for a long time, bouncing between Best Buy, Target, Shazam, and new device offers. Only paid for a few month after the first promo ran out years go because I forgot to cancel.

Infuspeur

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
Can you then enjoy Music on any device or is it bound to only the PS5? Can I share with iCloud family?

Bremse

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2020
Can you then enjoy Music on any device or is it bound to only the PS5? Can I share with iCloud family?
I’ve never seen an Apple Music promo that works with family sharing. They are always for the single user plan. You should be able to use it on any device thigh, not just the PS5. You just have to be logged in with the same AppleID. We have a bunch of HomePods in the house and they all use the same AppleID where I have a subscription and they can all play songs at the same time. Sometimes one will complain that I can only play on one device, but most of the time it works.

• Wow
Reactions: GeoStructural

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Even free I would not switch from Spotify to AM. The way to discover new music and also to go to your favorites is perfect in Spotify. AM is barely releasing a way to mark songs as “favorite”!!!, I would need years to make that list from zero in AM, etc.
Spotify is better in almost every sense, the UI is just more natural and useful. With that said, Apple Music is a good service and perhaps the only Apple service worth paying for. I have said many times that the only reason I have iCloud (the only one I pay for) is because it is integrated nicely with my devices, but other than that it is the worst cloud service in the market.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Even free I would not switch from Spotify to AM. The way to discover new music and also to go to your favorites is perfect in Spotify. AM is barely releasing a way to mark songs as “favorite”!!!, I would need years to make that list from zero in AM, etc.
You are right about Spotify having much better discovery and recommendation engines.

But I don't really need such features as I listen to what I know. But when I do, I want the best possible audio quality and from time-to-time, enjoy music mastered in Dolby Atmos (particularly great for concerts). And as a classical music fan, I like Apple Music Classical experience.

AeroEd

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2023
Maybe others have had a different experience, but I personally find the Apple Music app on PS5 to be particularly sluggish, poorly designed/organized, and for whatever reason if I shuffle a playlist it will only play songs with titles that start with the letter A or B.

Cool promotion for those who are as of yet subscribed to the service, but if my first exposure to Apple Music was through PS5, I don't think my reception would have been particularly warm.
Like iTunes on windows

• Haha
Reactions: Sunset Cassette

AeroEd

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2023
Oh man I just resubscribed with a Best Buy offer through February. I hope I remember this one when mine runs out. Been using Apple Music for free for a long time, bouncing between Best Buy, Target, Shazam, and new device offers. Only paid for a few month after the first promo ran out years go because I forgot to cancel.
I didn't know iOS users were cheaper than android users lolol

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
I tried AM, music streaming just random paused or stopped for no reason. Not like I have connection problems, fibre optic 1gbps 24/7 uptime 2ms ping.

In Spotify, I have zero music being interrupted - so until Apple fixed this weird bug.

• Disagree
Reactions: dominiongamma

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
I hate not owning my music. Bring music labels back and ask them to release music on discs again. Although in this TikTok world there’s hardly any new music worth owning so there’s that.

ralph_sws

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
Warsaw, Poland
In Poland where I live, a family plan in spotify costs PLN 29.99, it's about 7.5$. The family plan can be used by 6 people. its 1.25$ per person. Unbeatable

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Yes. The same way they do with the Apple Music app and iCloud photos integration on Windows 11.
That’s technically not a partnership. Also Playstation and Apple have a lot of common user base but Xbox users are more inclined to use Windows (with exceptions like yourself perhaps).
So it’s highly unlikely that Apple will run a promotion on a Microsoft platform and even next to impossible is that Microsoft will let Apple do it. Things are so frosted that it doesn’t even matter that Microsoft doesn’t have its own Music Streaming service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miicat_47
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.