Sixaxis Controls - has any game really benefited from them yet?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Just wondering... So far in most games I've played, the sixaxis motion sensing controls were a little gimmicky feature that thankfully could be turned off as an option.

In Ratchet & Clank it was used somewhat effectively, but honestly, those sequences would have been just as fine using the analog sticks.

Is there a case where the sixaxis control actually really ADDED something to the game and made it better? If you pulled the motion sensing stuff from all the games out so far, would anyone actually miss anything? Would it make the games worse?

You can probably tell how I feel about it, but obviously I am just one person and have only played a fairly small collection of games. But to me it seems like it was a last minute "me too" feature after Nintendo announced the Wii, and it's now tacked onto a bunch of games, only to justify its existance.

But I'm curious to see if anyone's played games that really benefited from the sixaxis and would seem lacking without the motion stuff.

Discuss! :)

(And please, PLEASE, no fanboy war...:( )

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Apart from the PSN titles with the likes of Nuclear Blast, FlOw and the small bit here and there in other games I have to say not really. Though Warhawk was ok too.

Driving games aren't that good with it, lair was a disaster altogether.

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

That's pretty much how I felt about it. It was "okay", not badly executed or anything. In the end, I turned it off though and used the analog sticks.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah same here tbh. SixAxis is a great idea in principal, but really in practice it has yet to prove it's worth. I'd prefer my rumble over it if I had to choose (but thanks to DS3 I don't) :)

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

*DISCLAIMER*I've not used the SixAxis*DISCLAIMER*
    I've not tried the PS3 controller, but I can't imagine it works well. Having used the DualShock before, and having used the Wii's motion sensing controller, I just can't fathom trying to do anything requiring any precision with the SixAxis. Twisting your hands around while trying to keep both thumbs on very specific points just doesn't sound like an easy task.

I think the reason the Wii controller's motion sensing works is because it's a one handed setup. Just makes it far more natural. It really seems like this feature was added on last minute by Sony when they saw the Wii and also realized they were going to have trouble delivering rumble in the controller due to legal issues.

*Ducks for cover from PS3 players* :p

6. asxtb macrumors 6502

What MacRumorUser said. I have the PSN skiing game demo, and the Sixaxis controls work well with that.

I think the problem with driving games is that the controller isn't stable. It isn't mounted like a steering wheel. And sensitivity can be a problem. It isn't too bad on Nascar 08 once you adjust the sensitivity.

I think once you use it, it really isn't that bad. Keeping you thumbs on certain buttons isn't that hard, in my opinion.

The PSN games that use it, have it incorporated very well. Like the skiing game, the only controls are the Sixaxis, no buttons needed.

*throws Sixaxis controller* ;)

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I still use it for flying Warhawks, just not hover mode.