Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I have a 128GB Blue Sixth Generation iPod touch. Naturally, I love it. However, I've experience the following issues with it that seem odd. I recently noticed them on a buddy's Sixth Generation iPod touch as well.

Namely, sometimes after the battery has drained completely, and I've hooked it up to the charger, it doesn't power on. Of course, I don't realize this until many hours have passed. I go to hit the home button, and nothing. I go to turn it on normally, thinking it is still off, and nothing. I go to reboot it (home and sleep/wake) and nothing. I try rebooting it a bunch, usually on my way to putting it into recovery mode and before I get to that point, it finally turns on and shows me that battery icon that indicates that the battery is charging, but still too low to fully boot iOS. Again, this is after it has been sitting in the charger for many hours.

Recently, I had a sudden shut down. Literally, I'm on my iPod touch, checking Facebook Messenger. I put it down to use my computer and then check something on my phone, and I go back to the iPod touch and it's off. I am able to turn it on normally, though it is perturbing that it shut off without my telling it to. Its battery level at that point was near full.

Both of these kinds of quirks happen intermittently, but at this point it has been enough times for me to think that something is up. The Apple Store and AppleCare both run MRI on it and see no red flags.

Tonight, I'm going to do a DFU restore on it and see if these issues go away. I will probably do another one when iOS 10 goes live. In the meantime, has anyone else experienced on the 6th Generation iPod touch what I have here?

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
I experienced a similar issue only once since I bought my 6g on launch day

solved it somehow with a soft reset while charging if I remember correctly ...

Never happened again fortunately :)

Please try to avoid deep discharges , some devices refuse to come to life after a deep discharge ..

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Yes, that happened to me once after a 6g was left in a drawer for a couple of weeks. I believe I solved it by hooking it up to my computer, then doing a hard reset while it was drawing power from the computer. It came back to life, showing a completely depleted battery, but then charged normally.

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
I had the same trouble with an iPod Touch not powering up. I left it to charge for an hour but nothing happened. It wasn't warm, either.

To investigate, I connected a USB voltage meter. While connected to the charger the current stayed at 0.0A, meaning the iPod wasn't charging at all. I left it for about a while but it never moved from 0.0A.

I decided to try putting it into DFU mode. Suddenly the current jumped up to 0.1A! After about 5-10 minutes, it went up to 0.5A. At this point I tried restarting the iPod and I got the low battery charging icon and it charged properly.

Since then I've sorted out about three iPods in the same way.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I experienced a similar issue only once since I bought my 6g on launch day

solved it somehow with a soft reset while charging if I remember correctly ...

Never happened again fortunately :)

Please try to avoid deep discharges , some devices refuse to come to life after a deep discharge ..

I don't usually do deep discharges. I run it down, then hook it up to the charger, usually that same day. That's when my problems tend to occur.

Yes, that happened to me once after a 6g was left in a drawer for a couple of weeks. I believe I solved it by hooking it up to my computer, then doing a hard reset while it was drawing power from the computer. It came back to life, showing a completely depleted battery, but then charged normally.

Yeah, I definitely don't wait that long. At most a day and a half. At most.

I had the same trouble with an iPod Touch not powering up. I left it to charge for an hour but nothing happened. It wasn't warm, either.

To investigate, I connected a USB voltage meter. While connected to the charger the current stayed at 0.0A, meaning the iPod wasn't charging at all. I left it for about a while but it never moved from 0.0A.

I decided to try putting it into DFU mode. Suddenly the current jumped up to 0.1A! After about 5-10 minutes, it went up to 0.5A. At this point I tried restarting the iPod and I got the low battery charging icon and it charged properly.

Since then I've sorted out about three iPods in the same way.

I'm fine with this happening once, or even once in a blue moon. It's happened at least three times in the last two months. Not cool. And again, I'm not ever doing that deep of a discharge. In any event, I did a DFU restore and then proceeded to restore apps and my battery drained way way faster than it did when I first set it up around February (which isn't all that long ago). So, I'm getting it replaced.

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
Never say never ... it happened again yesterday

Plugged it in, left it charging a bit

When it continued to play dead pressing power and home button simutaneously while charging brought it back to life

This was no deep discharge either ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.