Size limit for importing Excel to Numbers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jim GDT, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Jim GDT macrumors newbie

Is there a size limit for importing an Excel File into Numbers? The error message says the file is too large. Has this been changed in i-work 09? The file has multiple sheets that refer to each other, but i can't even open at this point. It is 3.1 MB. Thanks for any info!-- Jim

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not that I have found and I get some pretty big spreadsheets from my suppliers.

3. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

4. HardyH macrumors newbie

Size limit for large tab-delimited text files

I am generating 20MB tab-delimited text files in a statistical program that are >30,000 rows x >40 columns. I have always imported them into Excel for further analysis without a problem (32-bit Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.4 and up). I am trying out Numbers and find that it won't import this data because it is too large. What a let-down.

Check this review out, which offers some explanation.
    http://macvswindows.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132
    Seems like Numbers is a heavy application...and I thought that was a fault of Excel.

--------------
    MacBook Pro
    2.53GHz
    4GB DDR RAM

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

One thing that a lot of iWork users are not aware of is that Numbers is very RAM dependent. The more RAM you have idle/installed the more information Numbers can process and read. Not saying that everyone who wants to open huge Excel files with Numbers needs to get a Mac Pro with 32 GB of RAM, but it may help for some people with older computer systems that are only running with 1 GB of RAM when they can upgrade to 2 or 4 GB in some cases.