Size Limitations of .sparsebundle Encrypted Images?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by inknoise, Dec 13, 2009.

1. inknoise macrumors newbie

Howdy all,

I'm looking to find a better way to store backups, as well as a more secure way. What I plan to do is a SuperDuper backup to an encrypted disk image over the network. It looks like doing it with a sparsebundle rather than a standard disk image, but I'm running into an error when I try to create it using Disk Utility (200GB). Is it because of the size? Is there a better way?

Any help or better ideas as appreciated. The error I receive is: "Unable to create AESdmg.sparsebundle." (Inappropriate ioctl for device).

2. jbuk macrumors regular

The only time I've seen that message before is when I run out of space on a drive completely, so you are sure that there is enough space on your backup drive for the sparsebundle, right?

Also, if your drive is going to be solely for backups, there is little benefit to using sparse bundles as they can only grow as large as their maximum size, and a single file is more manageable.

3. inknoise thread starter macrumors newbie

It's backing up over the network to a DroboPro being shared as a NFS mount. It has 3TB free, so space shouldn't be an issue. The odd thing is that when I use SuperDuper to create its own disk image, unencrypted, it transfers fine.