Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Having read through the many, many, many posts regarding integrated graphics on the new mini, and seeing proof that it doesn't produce optimal frame rates when running WoW and also might occasionally hiccup when doing true HD video (with a whopping 512MB installed), I've decided that the integrated graphics make the mini nearly useless.

It can't play state-of-the-art 3D games at full speed, it can't do true HD video, Office apps are slow because of Rosetta... in short, the integrated video makes the mini of no value whatsoever to 99.9% of the market.

Given how poor the graphics are, I conclude that the only way to get any value - if "value" is even the right word - out of this flop is to boot into single user mode and, oh, I don't know, play with UNIX or get onto some BBS somewhere. What that means to me? Only dweeby, poor, Apple fanboy geeks will buy this thing.

And, so, it's too big.

First of all, there's no need for an optical drive. I mean, really, the thing won't do HD, so movies are practically useless, and like I said, single user mode is the only useful mode, so the optical drive is useless - removing it saves space. "How would you upgrade OS X?" you ask. Two replies: (1) this rev of the mini is so worthless that you'd better off tossing it than upgrading the OS; and (2) Intel Macs can boot off of USB, so how about if Apple would just ship OS X loaded on those worthless Shuffles no one buys and put that in the box instead of the dumb remote? Then, if you're too broke to buy a better mini when they get real, you could go to your friend's mom's house and download OS X 10.4.6 or whatever off her PC and put it on the mini.

Second, why AirPort and Bluetooth? Dweeby, poor, Apple fanboy geeks don't really use those anyway, so it's a waste of space. Not a lot of space, but, still, some. Let the geeks hook up an old CB radio connection or something if they want. Just put the modem back in, OK? Because that's all you need for a BBS, and, if you can't afford any better than the mini, likely you're lucky if you can even afford a phone line.

Third? Dump the hard drive. Hell, just boot off the Shuffle. No games + no movies + no apps = no need for a hard drive. Or throw in one from the iPod minis I know Apple has sitting around in warehouses - seems appropriate, I mean, really, why not use a mini drive for the mini? Poetic, I think.

Fourth? Nix all the ports in back except for two USB ones (one for the Shuffle, one for the keyboard - single user mode doesn't require a mouse) and two screws to which the geeks could hook the antenna up for the old black and white TV they'd use when they were playing with 'grep' or chatting on the BBS about which Star Trek captain was the best.

If Apple would have just done all that instead of producing the steaming pile of... uselessness that is the Intel mini, I bet they could have shaved an inch off the height.

They didn't even try, so count me as yet another disappointed reviewer.

Edit: Given some of the replies in this thread, I feel obligated to point out that this is intended to be a sarcastic rebuttal to all the whining about integrated graphics. I personally feel that the new mini is more than sufficiently powerful to handle the needs of the typical buyer that Apple is targetting. While others feel differently, I think that the doom-and-gloom forecasts surrounding the use of integrated graphics are a bit excessive. I too would have preferred a separate GPU, but am happy overall with the speed with which Apple delivered the mini and look forward to improvements they'll make in future revisions.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
To you, and everyone else who feels the same way...

Repeat after me:

"I am not the target audience for this product."

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Oh, darn it, maybe I should have added the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags above...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
jsw said:
Having read through the many, many, many posts regarding integrated graphics on the new mini, and seeing proof that it doesn't produce optimal frame rates when running WoW and also might occasionally hiccup when doing true HD video (with a whopping 512MB installed), I've decided that the integrated graphics make the mini nearly useless.

It can't play state-of-the-art 3D games at full speed, it can't do true HD video, Office apps are slow because of Rosetta... in short, the integrated video makes the mini of no value whatsoever to 99.9% of the market.

Given how poor the graphics are, I conclude that the only way to get any value - if "value" is even the right word - out of this flop is to boot into single user mode and, oh, I don't know, play with UNIX or get onto some BBS somewhere. What that means to me? Only dweeby, poor, Apple fanboy geeks will buy this thing.

And, so, it's too big.

First of all, there's no need for an optical drive. I mean, really, the thing won't do HD, so movies are practically useless, and like I said, single user mode is the only useful mode, so the optical drive is useless - removing it saves space. "How would you upgrade OS X?" you ask. Two replies: (1) this rev of the mini is so worthless that you'd better off tossing it than upgrading the OS; and (2) Intel Macs can boot off of USB, so how about if Apple would just ship OS X loaded on those worthless Shuffles no one buys and put that in the box instead of the dumb remote? Then, if you're too broke to buy a better mini when they get real, you could go to your friend's mom's house and download OS X 10.4.6 or whatever off her PC and put it on the mini.

Second, why AirPort and Bluetooth? Dweeby, poor, Apple fanboy geeks don't really use those anyway, so it's a waste of space. Not a lot of space, but, still, some. Let the geeks hook up an old CB radio connection or something if they want. Just put the modem back in, OK? Because that's all you need for a BBS, and, if you can't afford any better than the mini, likely you're lucky if you can even afford a phone line.

Third? Dump the hard drive. Hell, just boot off the Shuffle. No games + no movies + no apps = no need for a hard drive. Or throw in one from the iPod minis I know Apple has sitting around in warehouses - seems appropriate, I mean, really, why not use a mini drive for the mini? Poetic, I think.

Fourth? Nix all the ports in back except for two USB ones (one for the Shuffle, one for the keyboard - single user mode doesn't require a mouse) and two screws to which the geeks could hook the antenna up for the old black and white TV they'd use when they were playing with 'grep' or chatting on the BBS about which Star Trek captain was the best.

If Apple would have just done all that instead of producing the steaming pile of... uselessness that is the Intel mini, I bet they could have shaved an inch off the height.

They didn't even try, so count me as yet another disappointed reviewer.

Right on.

I tried to run FCP 5 and got beachballs. Christ.

Then I tried to do a 45-action set in Photoshop and it locked up.

Get this. I couldn't have 120 widgets open at once with the stock RAM.

What a POS.

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
mmmcheese said:

Repeat after me:

Check "sarcasm" in the Dictionary app. ;)

EDIT: Sorry jsw, we both posted at the same time

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
mmmcheese said:

Repeat after me:

Dang my sarcasm meter went off the scale when I read JSWs review I can't believe you didn't get it. I nearly spilt food on my keyboard when I read about using CB Radio for wireless.

Best review ever! I counted myself as one of the 'oh this integrated graphics sucks' people based on my experience with the chipset in other OSes but enough people here have said the Mac Mini Core Duo can play 1080p H.264 for me to not only admit I was wrong but to add the Mini to my I WANT ONE NOW list.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Synapple said:
Check "sarcasm" in the Dictionary app. ;)

EDIT: Sorry JSW, we both posted at the same time

Even so, I was going to create a new thread with the same post...this one just seemed a bit more convenient. :)

Plus, it's hard to tell sarcasm in posts since I have read posts similar to this and it turned out that they were serious.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mmmcheese said:
Plus, it's hard to tell sarcasm in posts since I have read posts similar to this and it turned out that they were serious.
I know - really. That's sad.

But I tend to be a bit less upset with Apple products, seeing as how I tend to be the first one buying each one in the local Apple Store (not literally each, but the first one to buy a PMG5, a Shuffle, a nano, and this new mini). ;)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Yes, size of the mini is a dissapointment...

...but because it is too small to put a 3.5" hard disk and two normal DIMM slots!!

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
mmmcheese said:
Even so, I was going to create a new thread with the same post...this one just seemed a bit more convenient. :)

Lol, you're right... :D
I believe most of us are just getting tired of the whining that's been going on for two days now
:)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mmmcheese said:
cube said:

...but because it is too small to put a 3.5" hard disk and two normal DIMM slots!!
Case in point.... ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
risc said:
So you did open it? Did you post your thoughts about it anywhere?

/me is too lazy to search
I've decided to wait for the ones the local Store is getting in with more RAM pre-installed. 512MB seems a bit low, and I dread opening it up - not normally an issue, but I've read mini horror stories. So I'm not only the first to buy it, but likely the first to return one there! ;)

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
They could have shaved off an extra mm or two if they'd gotten rid of all but one usb port for the shuttle hard drive. Who needs a keyboard when apple could write software to type into the mac by using morse code with any generic remote through the IR port.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
i Hate Apple I"m Going To Dell They Rock.... The Switch To Windows Begans!!!!! Hahahahhahahaha Try To Stop..... Mac Suck!!!!

;)

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
cube said:

Yeah... forget the Mac Mini. I want a Mac Medium, with 3.5" hard disk and a real graphics card. Basically a Cube-like box with all the features of the Intel iMacs, minus the display.

And those people who need PCI express slots can pay the extra to biggie size it up to a Mac Large. :)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
atari1356 said:
Yeah... forget the Mac Mini. I want a Mac Medium, with 3.5" hard disk and a real graphics card. Basically a Cube-like box with all the features of the Intel iMacs, minus the display.

And those people who need PCI express slots can pay the extra to biggie size it up to a Mac Large. :)

If we are going to make a different, bigger computer...

1 extra PCIe slot please. For SCSI backup in my case. There are no fast FireWire/SCSI converters.

The graphics card should be normal sized and exchangeable.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
jsw said:

Listen to yourself, so Microsoft Office will be sluggish because of integrated graphics on the Mini?

What's next?

"Apple files bankruptcy because of integrated graphics on latest Mac Mini"

or perhaps..

"Political scientist Abdullah Mohammad declares Jihad on America, referring to integrated graphics on the latest Mac Mini as an "insult" on the relatively less affluent islamiic market"

or maybe even..

"Human race wiped out due to Integrated graphics"

Sorry, but fortunately neither of these are going to appear in any headlines any time soon. In fact heck I am going to be quite happy with the mini.. sure a x1300 in it would be nice, but I had ok experiences with integrated graphics and I doubt it will affect the machine too much.

The trouble with you guys is you have been so brainwashed by Apple's propaganda, so in the past you have been conditioned into thinking that "IIG = teh suck" and "PPC = teh rox0r", well guess what? Today we have Macs that run on superior Intel chips using IIG! I foresee more Macs coming out very soon that would run using this solution. So what you going to do about that? Jump out of the window and die?

If you don't like it just don't buy it.

Well, since you guys love Apple so much just start lapping up all of Apple's goodies, or alternatively you have a choice.

The true solution whether you wish to admit it or not is this

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
generik said:
Listen to yourself...

"Political scientist Abdullah Mohammad declares Jihad on America, referring to integrated graphics on the latest Mac Mini as an "insult" on the relatively less affluent islamiic market"

Lol, that made me laugh, a lot:D Should it have? maybe not, but it did .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.