Size of Leopard on HDD!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jgbhardy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

I recently decided to do a fresh install of Leopard on my Macbook, I didn't add any of my files but simply downloaded and updated the system through software update.
    I then used grand perspective and the Get info windows to see the overall size of Leopard at 10.5.6.
    The total was 18GB!!
    This seems incredibly large, cant wait for Snow Leopard to bring a much smaller footprint to the OS!
    There was also 1.96GB of miscellaneous used space on HDD not quite sure what this was due to.

Attached Files:

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Getting rid of printer drivers, languages, garagebank junk, and ect. will save a lot of space. Did you just do the standard install?

You can try Monolingual to remove the other languages.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That is what a custom install is for :). A usable install of Mac OS X should be about 6GBs (been awhile since I installed it but that number rings a bell).

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

Uh, yeah. HELLO!? You're supposed to click "customize" and then turn off the language files and printer drivers and all that extra crap you don't need.

My system folder is 3.23GB and library is 1.51GB for a total of 4.74GB.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

18? wow. And people accuse Windows of being bloated. Mine's just under 4 GB.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its not bloated, its software that ACTUALLY IS USEFUL and not trail crap haha..

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The Mac OS doesn't slow down due to extraneous programs being installed. Windows does in a progressively worsening fashion as time goes on.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ill take a stab and say the OP is more worried about using space then having the machine slow down...

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I was responding to the same post you were.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

burn :(

11. Matek macrumors 6502a

I don't want to be a wiseass, but come on, at current drive sizes - what's the big deal? Back when I had a 1.2 GB drive, Windows 95 took about 100 MB. That's around 10 percent, which translates to 50 GB on an average 500GB drive one can buy for 50-60 bucks nowadays.

In other words - your OS takes up about as much as a movie in 1080p, why worry?

12. jgbhardy thread starter macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

I'm not complaigning about the size of it, it was just interesting to see. The original size of the OS before updates was 14GB so 4GB worth of updates. You must be finding some pretty cheap HDDs that are 500GB for $50, I've found 500GB ones for £80 and 320GB for £50. I have 1080p movies that are no way near 18GB!

To those who say delete the printer drivers and languages, its not really an option for me to delete the printer drivers. The college that I'm at has so many different printers and they are adding new ones all the time, I'm worried that if i delete one I'm not going to be able to use on of the printers.
    Languages I'm not too sure about when these are actually used as my work my sometime involve international stuff too.

13. kolax macrumors G3

Remember, iLife is something you get with your Mac, not Leopard, nor is it part of the OS. Can't really tell if you included that in your additions or not.