size of OSX updates

Discussion in 'macOS' started by schmintan, Oct 21, 2008.

1. schmintan macrumors regular

Im not starting a war here, im just asking opinions, so please, if your not here to make a point and jusitfy it, dont post.

I have both OSX, vista and xp on various laptops ( vista and OSX both on my MBP).

I admit there are updates to vista every 5-7 days. they usually are not that big though.

when i update the OSX installation though , although the updates are less frequent, they are huge! currently the software updater lists 8 updates for the Mac and the total size is not far off 700 mb in size!

in fact, ive noticed all mac updates are quite big( taking into account quicktime updates, itunes updates etc) compared to the size of the vista updates.

it got so bad, that i had 60gb of space for OSX, and with only the standard apps that come with apple, and my own installed office mac and photoshop elements, i only had 5gb left out of 60 gb partition. I ended up having to remove windows so as to be able to resize the OSX partition. When i dont store any files ( photos, vid, music etc) on the computer, 60gb should be more than enough for the OS and its apps, within reason. this turned out not to be the case with OSX.

so, mac's campign of giving out about updates for windows taking the spotlight from their own update issues, where their updates are huge.

has anyone else encountered this? what are your thoughts?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok wow that is extremely wierd.

for the last year at least i have had around 15gb-20gb free space. i have updated multiple times, ranging from itunes, quicktime, security updates and OSX updates. hell i even upgraded to leopard and never have i had a problem.

when you update are you doing a "download and install", because if you are, thats where your space is going!!! if you just install it then it will delete the image file afterwards.

3. schmintan thread starter macrumors regular

most of the time i just do an update, but i cant be sure if i ever done a download before updating. can you tell me where the files would be stored for updates, if i downloaded them first?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

normally they are saved to the users "downlaods" folder for non "important" system files.

for system updates, sometimes they go into the users>library folder (for some reason)

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Arn't update files deleted after they're installed?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was of the opinion that when you downloaded then installed them they stay.

if you just install it, then yes it will delete after install.. not if you actually download it via software update though.