Size of SSD component in a Fusion Drive iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by garycurtis, Jan 20, 2014.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

Talking about a 1tb Fusion Drive iMac, how big is the SSD side? I'm thinking of modifying my late 2013 iMac 27" when the prices of 'blade SSDs' come down.

OWC told me over the phone they'll be carrying the drives.

And even if I have the installment done professionally by MacMall, are there implicit dangers in opening up the new iMac?

2. Lucianrider macrumors member

I believe that all Fusion drive iMacs have a 128 GB SSD regardless of type and configuration. My wifes new Late 2013 27" iMac has a 128 gig blade to go along with the 3 TB hard drive.

3. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

If it's only 128Gb, I'm tempted to consider the ext SSD w/Thunderbolt currently on sale at OWC for about $170.

I hesitate because I saw some online comments that either the read or write speed of Thunderbolt with an SSD attached lagged and was comparable to USB3.

It would have to serve as a boot drive, but with that capacity, it would hold all my applications as well. I primarily seek a faster boot time.

But at the same time I'm inclined to go external to avoid dangers of opening up the case to install the Blade SSD. I'm old, retired, don't do gaming and don't watch video. Got any thoughts?