Size of Windows parition, if just for games.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Shivetya, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Looking at a new iMac but I am going back and forth between the 1tb Fusion or a 512SSD. I do not keep video content on my iMac, mostly stream and 99% of that to the TV.

However I do game on the iMac and many games are windows only, I was trying to size the Windows partition, for the few games I have how well does Windows 7 do with 128g?

Fusion drives have no benefits for the Windows install, is that correct?

2. Siggen macrumors 6502

I do not know about the effect of fusion drives in Boot Camp, but I suspect they might give you good speeds, as similar setups works for windows.

I would choose the 1TB fusion drive option. While SSD are a bit better, the 1TB space of Fusion drive is far superior in my opinion.
    I personally on my MBP (old) run OS X on an SSD and windows on a HDD. I am perfectly content that the Windows drive does not benifit from the SSD's speed.

I also have almost 1TB of space in my Macbook.

I have 200GB partitioned for Windows, because AAA games today take between 1GB and 30 GB each. Also the Cinematic Mod for Half Life 2 takes like 60GB just by it self.

3. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you, my guesstimates for disk requirements of Windows games has been way off. I only keep it around for the few games I cannot play in OS X and I imagine future games will only get bigger

4. Siggen macrumors 6502

Some indie games range from (today sadly) no less than 30mb to an astounding several gigabytes of data.
    However as I said tripple A games can reach tens of GB. Its sad really :p But hey we want graphics fidelity and large games right? :)