Size...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by foranor, Jul 11, 2009.

1. foranor macrumors regular

Hey folks.

Can someone give me an idea how much diskspace Leopard and Snow Leopard each consume on your harddisk? Only the OS, no add ons?

I'm considering the purchase of an MBA or MBP with a 128 GB SSD, but I'm running very low on my 160GB HDD in my current notebook, and was wondering if L or SL needed less space on the disk than vista or xp pro.

Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Leopard has PPC support so that added another 6 gb of consumption if I recall. Snow Leopard will not have PPC support so that will take away that 6 gb.

Apple has this wonderful thing called tech specs for Snow Leopard. It says 5 GB so if I do a little math then Leopard probably needed at least 10 gb. Give or take. You could probably check it out on that Apple site.

I would do the 128 SSD if you really need the SSD. You can get away with external drives when home keeping important junk that you may need on the go on your main drive.

3. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

If I'm not wrong, when I first installed Leopard, it took more than 10GB, I think maybe about 12GB. My installation of Snow Leopard (WWDC build) took about 8.5GB. So, not the drastic drop that Apple described, but perhaps there's still a lot of extra beta code that hasn't exactly been cleaned up yet.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Extra code and perhaps ... just perhaps some odd support for PPC that will eventually be taken away. Another dev said he installed it on a PPC machine fine. I find this difficult to understand considering it's widely published that SL is not going to support PPC. Therefore, the dev build is not one I can hang my hat on so much as the actual tech specs published by Apple. If it were a performance question I would want answers from devs as tech specs mean nothing to me overall when it comes to Apple and their specs. ;)

5. foranor thread starter macrumors regular

I feel 'duh'!

Yep, could have checked the Apple site. Never crossed my mind, cause the question came up while browsing the forum, not the apple site.

Ha. Thanks anyway.