iPad Sizes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TaylorWright619, Mar 20, 2013.

1. TaylorWright619 macrumors member

Hi all,

I bit the bullet and ended up getting an iPad Mini. Ended up swapping it for an iPad 4 (I wanted the Retina).

I got 16GB black and I am now unsure whether I should have got 32GB. I'm using the iPad light home use, university (science), maybe an occasional game/movie.

I downloaded a science app called The Elements and it was nearly 2GB.

I still have time to take it back and swap it, so what do you guys think? I do plan on buying iPad 5 when it comes out.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Thanks.

2. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

At the moment, my iPad has 10GB of storage left.

3. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Personally the minimum sized iPad I would purchase would be the 32GB as I would want to keep it for a minimum of 2 years.

iOS apps are evidently getting larger, I've currently got a 16GB iPhone 4S which I regret getting as I am more conscious of what apps I've got on there than ever before. Instagram alone on my phone uses 1.2gb of storage, but it does reset itself by 'cleaning'.

4. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

I just did the exact same thing as the OP. Returned my mini, got a 16GB 4, and I'm also wondering. Although in my case, I can wonder all I want because I simply can't afford the $100 memory premium to upgrade to 32GB.

So what I'm doing is simply storing a lot of my documents and books on the cloud until I actually need them, and loading just 1 or 2 movies/shows at a time.

I think I'll be okay. But once a hard date for the 5 is announced, I'm wondering if I should sell the 4 and just eat the difference for a 32GB 5.

5. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

I will not be keeping music or movies on the iPad. I will maybe put a movie or 2 on whilst travelling etc. but no need for more then that at any given time...

I do not think I will be installing a whole heap of apps. And I do plan to sell this iPad when the 5 comes out, and would definitely get the 32GB then.

So is it worth taking this one back again and getting 32GB? Or just hold off for the 5 and hopefully I don't the the storage space?

There is a few mor apps that I would 'like' to get, but I do not think they will take up massive amounts of space. Hopefully the 16GB would be enough.

Please help! Haha

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I have a 16GB as well, but I keep my docs and important info in DropBox for later use and I use iTunes Match to stream my music. I keep about 8-10 GB of free space open and this has worked for me for the past year or so.

7. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Are you planning to sell this iPad when you get the 5? I think 16GB models give the most return on investment, and are quicker/easier to sell.

So, you could treat this one as an experiment to help you better decide on the capacity needs of your next iPad. You just may determine that 16GB will be enough, which would be beneficial to you as a consumer. Or, you may get into taking/editing video clips in iMovie, and decide you need 64GB.

Regards,
    Tom

8. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

This is pretty good advice.

I would experiment with it. I just loaded all my documents onto my 16GB iPad 4 to see how much space I really actually use. So all of my PDF documents (there are a ton), the apps that I use (and even some that I don’t), some Cydia tweaks that I use, and 2 HD, hour long TV episodes, and I have 7 gigs left. Once I’m done with the shows, I’ll have a little over 9 GB left.

I think that’s plenty of space. I’m not going to worry about it.

9. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, well it makes sense to keep this as a test, sell iPad 4 when the 5 comes out and get the 32GB then. Hopefully there will be enough space now.