Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
So are we seeing the demise of Apple? I notice that on the Siri alerts, there are two spaces after the period. That's a no-no in graphic design and something SJ would have caught and fired someone over! Terrible.

Jonk1183

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
yea its a real bummer their stock is at its highest point ever, SJ probably rolling in his grave...

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Like someone else said in another thread...

#firstworldproblems

Get over it, there are far more pressing issues in the world. A vast majority of people would not notice, and by a vast majority, everyone but you.

And yeah, send those designers back to school, because Apple's stock doesn't speak for itself or anything.

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
Like someone else said in another thread...

#firstworldproblems

Get over it, there are far more pressing issues in the world. A vast majority of people would not notice, and by a vast majority, everyone but you.

And yeah, send those designers back to school, because Apple's stock doesn't speak for itself or anything.

Well, I'm sorry I'm that much smarter than everyone else then.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
It was tongue in cheek but wow, fanboyism runs strong on this forum. Still, with all the stories about SJ coming out after his death, you gotta wonder. I mean the guy agonized about the right shade of yellow on the google logo, right?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/steve-jobs-and-the-google-logo-ambulance/3265
Hm, if you're directing that fanboy remark at me, you're sadly mistaken. I would say this to anyone complaining about minutia. I have no problem criticizing Apple, however, this is so flat out minimal, I didn't even notice it until you said something, and it still doesn't bother me.

Also, they've been working on Siri for quite some time, so in fact, I'm sure Jobs did actually approve.

----------

Well that reeks of sarcasm. But really, go up to Cupertino and try to get a job. I'm serious. You're overqualified.

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
Hm, if you're directing that fanboy remark at me, you're sadly mistaken. I would say this to anyone complaining about minutia. I have no problem criticizing Apple, however, this is so flat out minimal, I didn't even notice it until you said something, and it still doesn't bother me.

Well that settles it then, I guess you speak for all iPhone users. I retract my observation.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Ummmm, yeah...I'm sure Steve knew nothing about Siri or how it would work. Because, you know, the phone came out about a week after he passed away, so someone must have gone in and made a bunch of changes to it in that week :rolleyes:

I'm a graphic designer and I deal with typography every day. And even I can find more productive things to do with my time than criticize a program that's in Beta. How bored are you?

OK, yes, generally speaking on a computer if you're not using a monospaced font then you should only use one space after a period. But the truth is that many people are still used to the old school way of doing it, and a lot of those people are teaching young people nowdays. So there's still some holdover. Of all the things in this world to complain about, though, this does seem a bit trivial.

mrcalabash

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Why should you not use 2 spaces after a period?

What you may have learned in typing class decades ago is wrong today. Two spaces come from a world of monospaced type, which made it difficult sometimes to spot spacing between two sentences, so two spaces made it easier to sopt the end of a sentence.

Proportional spacing, used everywhere today will always leave a discernible space between sentences. Two spaces simply looks too big. (In fact, in the print world, as opposed to the typewriter world, one space has forever been the way to go.)

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
this thread is filled with lols

Apple has at least another 5 years worth of plans that steve jobs had. So his influence is all over the place still

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I wonder how long the OP thinks it takes to develop a phone to think that SJ didn't play a large roll in it.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's in beta. Sent using Siri

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Proportional spacing, used everywhere today will always leave a discernible space between sentences. Two spaces simply looks too big. (In fact, in the print world, as opposed to the typewriter world, one space has forever been the way to go.)

OK, since we're being a bit technical now...your statement actually isn't true. It will not ALWAYS leave a discernible space between sentences. In most print work, tracking and kerning are used constantly to adjust what the computer considers to be the "correct" spacing. Because honestly, just because something is "mathematically correct" it doesn't mean it looks right, and that's what really matters in the end. I regularly have to adjust the tracking in order to make more space between sentences, because quite often they look too close together.

And yes, I realize that this gets off the original topic. Go ahead and knock me for it if you want :)

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California

your sig states that you've been a Mac user since 1984. That would put your age at least to someone in their 30's-40's. I find your quote above not matching in maturity with your supposed age.

in other words, you're most likely in your 40's and act like a teenager. Something is not right, either your a total troll or you have serious maturity issues making statements/threads like this.

Pointing out a technical error, real or just perceived does not require you to make light of SJ not being with us anymore. Your point could have been made with less drama.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
What you may have learned in typing class decades ago is wrong today. Two spaces come from a world of monospaced type, which made it difficult sometimes to spot spacing between two sentences, so two spaces made it easier to sopt the end of a sentence.

I guess I'm older than I thought, because honestly I never knew that.

You learn something new every day. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.