SJ would not approve

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by norbinhouston, Oct 15, 2011.

1. norbinhouston macrumors member

So are we seeing the demise of Apple? I notice that on the Siri alerts, there are two spaces after the period. That's a no-no in graphic design and something SJ would have caught and fired someone over! Terrible.

2. gillybean macrumors 6502a

3. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

Why should you not use 2 spaces after a period?

4. norbinhouston thread starter macrumors member

Because computers aren't typewriters, they auto kern based on individual letters.

5. Jonk1183 macrumors regular

yea its a real bummer their stock is at its highest point ever, SJ probably rolling in his grave...

6. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

So this is the demise of Apple, eh? Good to know what started it...

7. cshearer macrumors regular

Like someone else said in another thread...

#firstworldproblems

Get over it, there are far more pressing issues in the world. A vast majority of people would not notice, and by a vast majority, everyone but you.

And yeah, send those designers back to school, because Apple's stock doesn't speak for itself or anything.

8. norbinhouston thread starter macrumors member

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

In his 14k gold casket!

10. norbinhouston thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm sorry I'm that much smarter than everyone else then.

11. t0mbola macrumors member

12. cshearer macrumors regular

Hm, if you're directing that fanboy remark at me, you're sadly mistaken. I would say this to anyone complaining about minutia. I have no problem criticizing Apple, however, this is so flat out minimal, I didn't even notice it until you said something, and it still doesn't bother me.

Also, they've been working on Siri for quite some time, so in fact, I'm sure Jobs did actually approve.

----------

Well that reeks of sarcasm. But really, go up to Cupertino and try to get a job. I'm serious. You're overqualified.

13. norbinhouston thread starter macrumors member

Well that settles it then, I guess you speak for all iPhone users. I retract my observation.

14. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Ummmm, yeah...I'm sure Steve knew nothing about Siri or how it would work. Because, you know, the phone came out about a week after he passed away, so someone must have gone in and made a bunch of changes to it in that week :rolleyes:

I'm a graphic designer and I deal with typography every day. And even I can find more productive things to do with my time than criticize a program that's in Beta. How bored are you?

OK, yes, generally speaking on a computer if you're not using a monospaced font then you should only use one space after a period. But the truth is that many people are still used to the old school way of doing it, and a lot of those people are teaching young people nowdays. So there's still some holdover. Of all the things in this world to complain about, though, this does seem a bit trivial.

15. mrcalabash macrumors member

What you may have learned in typing class decades ago is wrong today. Two spaces come from a world of monospaced type, which made it difficult sometimes to spot spacing between two sentences, so two spaces made it easier to sopt the end of a sentence.

Proportional spacing, used everywhere today will always leave a discernible space between sentences. Two spaces simply looks too big. (In fact, in the print world, as opposed to the typewriter world, one space has forever been the way to go.)

16. GKDAIR macrumors regular

this thread is filled with lols

Apple has at least another 5 years worth of plans that steve jobs had. So his influence is all over the place still

17. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I wonder how long the OP thinks it takes to develop a phone to think that SJ didn't play a large roll in it.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's in beta. Sent using Siri

20. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

OK, since we're being a bit technical now...your statement actually isn't true. It will not ALWAYS leave a discernible space between sentences. In most print work, tracking and kerning are used constantly to adjust what the computer considers to be the "correct" spacing. Because honestly, just because something is "mathematically correct" it doesn't mean it looks right, and that's what really matters in the end. I regularly have to adjust the tracking in order to make more space between sentences, because quite often they look too close together.

And yes, I realize that this gets off the original topic. Go ahead and knock me for it if you want :)

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

This is not evidenced in your thread.

22. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

your sig states that you've been a Mac user since 1984. That would put your age at least to someone in their 30's-40's. I find your quote above not matching in maturity with your supposed age.

in other words, you're most likely in your 40's and act like a teenager. Something is not right, either your a total troll or you have serious maturity issues making statements/threads like this.

Pointing out a technical error, real or just perceived does not require you to make light of SJ not being with us anymore. Your point could have been made with less drama.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I guess I'm older than I thought, because honestly I never knew that.

You learn something new every day. :D