Skate 3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I could have sworn I saw a thread about it this morning, like an hour ago...but now it's gone. :confused:

Oh well. The demo is apparently out. I haven't had a chance to log on and get it yet, but I will soon. Any first impressions from those who already downloaded it?

I enjoyed Skate, but ended up selling it after awhile. I was planning to pick up Skate 2 at some point, but before I got around to it, they announced Skate 3. :D Since the Skate 2 demo didn't blow me away (walking mechanics were a needed addition - but why were they implemented so poorly!?), I figured I'd wait for the next installment, to have a more significant upgrade since Skate 1. :)

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah there was a thread? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Played the demo for awhile today, and it was fun. Not radically different from what I remember from the first Skate though... Maybe I'll just pick up Skate 2 instead and save some money. I'll wait for some reviews to see what really sets this one apart from its predecessors. I did like the slightly improved walking mechanic (still not awesome though) and the lack of load times when jumping back to a set marker.

Technically, it looks very solid. Didn't notice any framerate drops. How was SKate 2 in that regard?

4. Kawininja619 macrumors member

I played the demo for awhile last night. I was not too impressed with it. Its too much like the second one. The graphics and play are about the same. I was hoping for something a little like the first skate with the gritty look and 30 fps. I did notice alot of framerate issues on my xbox though. I will most likely be picking it up just cause :D

5. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I found the demo to be a lot more enjoyable on the "hardcore" difficulty setting. It seems more realistic, and it felt like much more of an accomplishment to pull off some tricks and land the rails.

I'm seriously considering just picking up Skate 2 though. I just saw it's only 20 EUR here, and it seems to be quite similar in terms of gameplay. I'll wait to see if the new map is much better though. Maybe they'll release both old maps as DLC again, then I can have all three! :)

6. Kawininja619 macrumors member

Oh, i didnt know there was a hardcore mode. I will have to try it out again. Get skate 2. Its alot of fun and will hold you over for the month.

7. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I really like the higher camera angle that one can choose in the demo. Did Skate 2 have that option?

8. rema macrumors regular

You guys may have seen this already, But there's
    a glitch in the demo that allows you to skate outside
    the skate demo area. I did it yesterday, saw it on
    youtube heres how

Xbox 360

PS3

Enjoy

R

9. GabooN macrumors regular

I like it, motions are a lot more fluid and there is a better feeling of momentum in the way you fall or this time around, don't fall and catch your balance. Not hugely different than skate 2 but new city will be nice.

The glitch works, and you can do it repeatedly each time. Lets you skate a wider area. I will probably get the game a little while after it comes out. I'm looking forward to Red Dead Redemption and don't want to be buying multiple games. Still can't put down Bad Company 2 though.

10. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I picked up Skate 2 for 20 Euros last night. Pretty fun so far! Though I did notice that Skate 3 looks a lot more polished graphics-wise, but I'm not complaining. By the time I am done with this one, Skate 3 will probably be 20 bucks as well! :D

EDIT: One annoying annoyance that annoys me though: English audio is NOT included on the disc, all I get is German! (I live in Germany.) I play ALL my games in English (as I watch most movies/read most books in English), and this pisses me off. If you thought American skater kids' lingo was bad, try listening to a bunch of Germans trying to sound like American cool skater kids. "Dude, bist du down wenn wir hier shooten?" :eek: I try to take it with humor and laugh at it, but it's a challenge! :D For feck's sake, it's a bluray disc, they have all the room in the world to include the other languages!

The only other game that has done that to me so far was Burnout Paradise. Their German radio "DJ Atomica" was just as laughable. :(

11. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I played a lot of Skate 2 this weekend, and I'm really having a blast with it! So far, the challenges are all increasingly tricky but always doable, and I'm having fun with the Hall of Meat challenges as well. I eventually had to turn the voices completely off, it was just getting too painful... :D But this should keep me entertained for awhile, until Skate 3 comes down in price! :)