skate demo

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by steamboat26, Aug 22, 2007.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Who's got it?
    And more importantly, who has a decent grasp of the controls?
    All these years of Tony Hawk button mashing have me running into walls and not landing tricks. Although i must admit the controls seem fairly intuitive.

2. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I am absolutely loving this game- it is, without a doubt, a must buy for me. I nailed the controls down after about 20 minutes or so.

Love the controls and love the physics and animation and realism.

Check out this video I uploaded to their site (another awesome thing about the game- the replay editor and uploading service). About 5 minutes into the demo I got blindsided by a skateboarding chick while doing a pathetic little grind on a rail.

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/2412/posts/5290.aspx

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Meh, skateboarding games. :eek: :confused:

I may try out skate, I'm done with the Tony Hawk franchise (and have been done with it since THPS4). No matter how much they supposedly "innovate" from title to title, all I see is recycled BS.

With skate being a new franchise, I may try it out. Can't really get too excited about it though myself. :eek:

4. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

weird... until this thread, i'd never heard of the game o_O

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Me either! It's looks pretty sweet though, too bad i don't have a 360 or a PS3... :(

6. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

the THPS series hasn't innovated with anything for quite some time, they have gone off on a complete tangent from skating, and now most of the games are just running around doing pranks.
    Hopefully skate will revive the genre, it's just too bad you can only skate for 30 minutes in the demo; I need more time to get used to the controls.

7. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Just restart the demo, goose. :)

I must have played through it 5 or 6 times already. It seriously is an awesome game- I just skate around, finding nice little lines and doing "simple" tricks. That's what I hated about the Tony Hawk games- they were too over the top.

8. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

:eek: My bad, I assumed since the demo is fairly open ended (one level, but lots to do), that EA didn't want you to keep playing the demo instead of buying the game.

For that second comment, i totally agree, a 900 or even a 720 shouldn't be that easy, and you shouldn't be able to grind forever.
    I still remember my 1000 plus degree rotations, and seemingly endless grinds (without cheats)...

9. l33r0y macrumors 6502

+1 on that, but Skate is definately worth a go, its very intuitive as the OP said when I had a go at a friends place.

Check this in game footage, the view is supposedly based on the skateboard video style, but works very well.

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/3402/posts/43063.aspx

I don't own an xbox360 myself, but this game is probably going to change all that!

10. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I don't have to play that game. I have a real skateboard that I do those tricks with.

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

wow you're so awesome bro!

anyway

I have the Skate demo and the TH demo for my PS3. Overall I think Skate is better but it's so weird because I'm so used to TH controls that the right stick flick for an ollie just messes me up. A lot of the reviewers for skate have a problem that the game is basically....pointless. There aren't a lot of goals so unless you like skating aimlessly for hours on end it doesn't have a lot of meat to it like the TH games have.

Props to EA for actually trying to evolve the stale skateboarding genre since TH is WAY past its prime :(

12. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

best skate game to date for sure. the controls are realistic, like you use the left joystick for your body movement and the right handles your legs. you flick the tigger to do a trick in the same way you would kcik your feet on a board.

it will please

13. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

for sure, i only play when im tired from skating. and in between skate vids. lol

14. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I like it as a pace change from shooters. I got this last week due to my love of harks games, although have been getting diminishing returns from them. It takes work to master but rewards you back with whatever you put in to it.