Skateboarding - Can you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by UltraNEO*, Mar 24, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hey,

Recently I have the desire to learn to skateboarding.
    I can skate on blades and ice.. Occasionally go Snowboarding but even then it's just for fun and it's done very badly... :rolleyes:

Anyway, skateboarding. I don't know how or where too start.
    Sooo.. does anyone here have any good advice for a noob?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i started skating about 6-7 years ago. dont do it much atm but ive still got my board… that remins me i need a new one! :) i got the basics down like kickflips and heelflips then went on to nollieflips, 360 flips, switch flips, FS flips. the best i did was BS 180 and boardslide a six stair.

snowboarding is kind of similar to skateboarding in terms of the way you stand and the balance but the feel of it and the totally different terrain make them completely different. but one things for sure if you start either it will be easier to pick up on the other.

first things first are you right footed or left footed? if youre right you are regular stance which is left leg forward. if youre a leftie you are goofie stance which its right leg forward. although if your weird like me and your favour a stance which is the opposite to your handiness go with it. im right footed and skate goofie.

the best way to start is to go out and buy a cheap complete setup make sure its already put together or better yet borrow a friends board and start rolling around and learn to balance and try and learn to ollie. you dont need pads or skate shoes just a board and concrete and a desire to learn!

once you learn to ollie and you got your balance down buy a board, trucks, set of wheels, set of bearings and make a setup which you can afford. the skate shop will put it together for you. then buy some durable comfy skate shoes and your set.

the rest is up to to you! get some buddies and go to a skatepark or do a street session. in a year you would have learnt the basic flip and grind/slide tricks. after that comes your creativity, mastering the basics or learning harder tricks.

tip: best way to learn the names of tricks and frontside, backside etc was to play Tony Hawks. man is that game ever addictive! the names just stick in your head after playing.

3. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Well heres a good tip: dont fall :D

Oh yeah, are you from Japan? If so then COOL! :)

4. n00basaur macrumors regular

I used to skate in high school but then gave it up once I entered college. Surfing is a lot more fun to me now.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Skateboarding's fun. I need to take it up again, haven't skated since HS :eek:

It was basically "banned" during college and while I did go out a couple of time to break the rules, for the most part my board stayed in my closet (in fact, it's in my closet in my new place :p)

I say for your first trick learn to ollie then either kickflip or heelflip (one's easier than the other, but which one depends on your footiness/handling of the board). Then I'd learn to manual (basically a wheelie where your front two wheels are in the air and you ride the back two).

Skating switch (where you put your opposite foot forward) is a nice skill to have too.

6. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

skated for about 3-4 years realised i was **** and quit

it takes commitment and pain ^_^

good place to start out is just open smooth space just to practice simple tricks then move on to skate parks

7. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I used to board until I broke my right arm and cracked my skull on a bench slide back in 1991. Hospitalized for 6 days. I stick to snowboarding now.

8. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I wanna skate too, but there's no concrete at all where I live.

9. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

yeah I was really into skating when I was in my early teens 13-14 I was being sponsored by a small time skate shop who worked with young skaters .But as I got older I got to the point where I was really into playing drums and the whole band thing + I kept getting to many injuries one day. I was kick flipping down some steps in town (Birmingham, U.K) we had been there all day doing tricks down these steps. It started to rain pretty bad by then one of my trucks had came lose so I ask this d**khead stoner called Paul or Pete I’m not sure it was while back. If he could change my trucks over with new ones that id bought whilst I went to get some food he thought it would be a good idea to roll up and spark up a join (clever) by the time I got back he said that he a done it so with out a doubt I got on my board and the first few ollies and kickflips un grinds seemed to be ok so I thought ill go for the big one ollie all the steps about 6-7 in all. So I got a good run up before starting the run I thought that the deck was feeling a bit to loose than usual. But with the rain starting again and I thought ill do this then make my way home so I pushed off and got speed done the ollie with in seconds after ollieing I had realised that the stupid stoner had screwed the back trucks fine but didn’t do the front ones properly so as I came to land everything played its part the rain had made my deck grip tape slippy making my balance non-existent and the front truck had came loose. The front 2 screws had came pretty much fell out and soon as the front end for my deck had hit the ground I went flying. I thought it would be a good idea to put my hand out to break the fall when I hit the ground (breaking three fingers and pretty much head butting the ground and getting concussion in the process). I pretty much gave up and started doing music.....:)

And the lession of life today kids is that you never trust stinky stoners with anythink......

10. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Quote of the day!

11. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

yeah and a lesson well learned :(

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Me and a friend skated for a year or two back in school. We were rubbish but it was good fun. I could only do a couple of basic flips. Eventually I got used to falling over but then my friend hospitalised himself. We didn't do it much after that!