skEdit, MAMP and Transmit All Rolled Up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jpdit, Feb 14, 2008.

1. jpdit macrumors newbie

Hi,

I apologize for hitting the bricks with a question right off the bat. I am a brand new Mac user. I love it! I have had such a great time downloading all the mac friendly software out there. I am in Afghanistan serving for the time being and have taken up web developing. I have learned so much.

Recently, I have downloaded and began fiddling with 3 applications.

1. skEdit
    2. Transmit
    3. MAMP

Now, how do I get them all to work together? I have wore out my search box on google.

First question, is MAMP on my Mac a local only, remote only, or local and remote, when setting up a new project? Please take me through how to set up a wordpress theme as a project in skEdit then link it with Transmit to upload. I have become pretty familiar and confident with MAMP, but if there are any tips I would appreciate it.

Thank you so much,
    Jim
    Afghanistan

2. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

First of all, you don't need Transmit when working with MAMP. MAMP is local so no ftp'ing is necessary.

Open skEdit and click the + button to add a project. Name it whatever you want and select Local in this first box. Now click the local tab and click browse. Browse to your applications directory and select MAMP, then htdocs (or whatever the folder is that is holding your web source files), then select the folder of the "website" you want to mange. If you want to edit wordpress themes then I'd name this folder wordpress. Now click save and then open the project. Provided you have previously setup wordpress in the wordpress directory then you'll see all your files.

I'm writing this all from memory (Mac is at home, Windows at work), but it should be pretty accurate. Let me know if you need more help.