Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
I want to start using Sketch 3 (as i've heard good things) to create and mess around with interface design for the apps I make.

Right now, i'm not very experienced with any graphic design programs apart from using pixelmator to make small changes to stuff a graphic designer has sent me, never used photoshop.

I've been reading about interface design etc but is there anything I should go through/ read (beyond the sketch specific tutorials) before I get started on something like Sketch?

Thanks

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I've recently switched to Sketch 3 as well. Photoshop user for 10+ years. My Macs currently have the last version of PS I will ever purchase: CS6 extended.

Do what I did. Pick a project and just start. You'll waste a ton of time; 'looking for the feature' you need but you'll learn others along the way. By the time you finish one little project you'll pretty much know how to work with it. Then it just comes down to practice to save time and improve quality.

I haven't missed PS one bit, yet.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Just thought i'd update this thread.

I saw a link for designcode.io

It's a sort of course on making an iOS app but with a heavy emphasis on using Sketch as the basis of the UI.

The guy goes into detail on various tips and tricks with Sketch and also real world applications via the tutorials.

Def worth a look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.