Sketchup problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iMaccore2, Mar 18, 2008.

1. iMaccore2 macrumors regular

I have been using sketchup on my iMac for about a day now, and it is a great program, but i do have a problem. Ill draw a simple shape, use the tool to make it three dimensional, then when i try to look at it from different angles, zoom and pan I get the beach ball of death. The program freezes and then I have to force quit. any help would be appreciated, i really want to be able to use this program

2. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Sketchy Sketchup

Been using it for a couple of years and have some teething problems when you start to push the number of elements or detail. I have to say that it's a great freeware program but has it's limitations, in particular the new 'Layout'.
    It is worth paying for the 'Pro' version as it seems more stable and I have used the animation effect to jazz up a web page,
    http://smithsfans.com.au/products/portable_fans.htm

I'm currently using 6.4.120 on a 2005 model Mac Pro, dual 2.5 G5's with 4.0G ram,
    SketchUp Pro loves ram a chews it up relentlessly, could be a problem with only 1.0G.
    Good luck and I'll get back to the thread after I have a look at running SketchUp on my iMac.

3. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,

4. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, i have another question, you mention sketchup pro uses alot of ram, I was wondering if the free version does the same. I was also wondering if it would be worth getting a 1 gb stick of ram to add to the i gig i already have to make sketchup run more smoothly

5. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Though not very accurate, menu meter says it's using 810.10MB after windows releases some of the processor. While typing this all fans and pumps did their usual flair up, some comparatively old hardware in the girl.

6. vodnivole macrumors newbie

Severe Problems: Sketchup kills Leopard

Hi folks,

After a couple of interactions Leopard shows the beach ball. There is no way to force-quit SketchUp only. The only way out is to power the Mac off.
    Leopard should never be but is destabilized by SketchUp.
    On top of that rebooting doesn't work in 75% of the cases. After login the Machine remains inactive showing the faded out password screen.
    When shutting down via the power-off button a re-start is usually immendiately possible, but sometimes it also takes several consecutive shut-downs.

Leopard allows apps to get into an eternal beachball/coma mode that renders the OS useless.

Maybe (subjective impression) this correlates to quick movements with my mighty mouse (at least a feel like that)

BTW: this effect also happend twice in cover-flow mode of iTunes.

Any ideas about that? Or just hoping that 10.5.3 will eliminate that issue.
    I can only work properly with Sketchup after booting 10.4. or Fusion/Windows.

MBP, 4GB, Intel, Leopard 10.5.2, Mighty Mouse

7. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

This is the problem I have with my imac, well sort of. On my imac when i start making a building with great details and rooms on the inside, ill get the beach ball, but I can quit the program no problem. One time It completely froze my machine, i pulled the plug and it wouldnt boot, but it did after a few minutes. I dont use sketchup anymore, i have no use for it really, just to mess around

8. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

it's like i am in windows

Ah yes the spinning beach ball of doom. This takes down my computer often. The problem seems to come from the autosave function. If you save every 2 minutes or less, and don't let the autosave function activate, there will be a huge reduction in number of crashes.

I was giving a presentation today at Cal Poly and i was mousing through my Sketchup model when BAM, SBOD. the only way to fix it to power down. Embarrassing to say the least, though had i hit command-s sooner i am sure it would not have crashed. I used to just restart every 5 minuets, since i have been practicing Windows style saving practices i have not had any crashed at all, save the one today when presenting.

love sketchup, hate the SBOD. Command-S is your friend.

also what does the noise that the computer makes when powering down in this situation indicate. it sounds like a metallic blink. I know that these noises are used to diagnose problems with hardware by apple care technicians, but what does this one indicate?

Odduwon