Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbh1976

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Dont buy the pink one then.
I would attest the only moderately (Adult) acceptable 5C color was white, and that was still ridiculous. I'm not confident Apple would produce something black or grey to appeal to the majority of customers.

Reactions: SteveW928

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
That's one of my biggest issues with the Tim Cook era so far and they really need to streamline their lineup!

THIS A MILLION TIMES
as of December 2015:

rMacbook, MacBook Air 11/13, Macbook Pro 13, rMacBook Pro 13/15
iMac 21.5, iMac 21.54k, iMac 27 5k
MacPro
MacMini
AppleTV
iPod Shuffle, iPod nano, iPod Touch,
iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, iPhone6s, iPhone 6s+
iPad mini 2, iPad mini 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro
Apple watch sport/watch/edition/ 38/42 (20 models available)

Remember the time Cook boasted that you could fit all the stuff Apple sold on one table? Look at this list and think of all the permutations of colour, memory, ram and processors...

Do they really need to sell all this stuff?

They need to have the balls to go back to the era of concentrating on making the fewer products that are the best. WHY have they that many iPads? It makes my head hurt trying to work out which one is which.

And also - anyone else completely confused by their new online store? They seem to have hidden all the search and buying options. It looks like a fashion website. It's brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbh1976 and navaira

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Dont buy the pink one then.

FYI... pink used to be a masculine color and blue for girls. ;) But, while I don't mind them making various colors, it needs to *at least* have the slate gray, silver, and white. After that, add all the colors they like. But, since they don't do that for the 6s and 6s+, if this rumor has any validity, it shows they are going for a borked model.

Remember the time you could fit all the stuff apple sold on one table? ... They need to have the balls to go back to the era of concentrating on making the fewer products that are the best. ... And also - anyone completely confused by their new online store? They seem to have hidden all the search and buying options. It looks like a fashion website. Burberry Apple ain't.

Apple is now being run like a traditional tech company... "Think Different" is from a past era. Profits over products. Sad, but true. And, as ironic as it is (given years of being accused of being an Apple user for fashion only), Burberry probably is where Apple is headed.

Reactions: mbh1976

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I still think it will be released alongside the iPhone 7. So next year lineup will be this 6"c", 6S, and 7. No 6.
And yes, I believe it is the 6th gen iPod Touch with a phone in it.
Exclusion of 3D touch is ok with me, I mean if so, the reduction of battery will be pretty significant, and the A8 is not as efficient as the A9.
I believe price will still be $549. It simply replaces the current 5S for 2016.

A twist would be having this as an exclusively no-contract iPhone. For contract, lowest for free will be current iPhone 6. This 6"c" would be $450 no contract only. If that's the case, then I think it will be interesting for those that want a backup/second iPhone. Currently, cheapest iPhone is $549 which is not exactly cheap for a second back up phone. The only issue is the A8, which would be 2 generation behind by next year. Selling at $450 is feasible as Apple can sell the 6th gen iPod Touch at $199.

I agree. I believe if this product was actually ready to launch in two months, we would have seen parts leak months ago. A fall launch with the other iPhones is more plausible.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
THIS A MILLION TIMES
as of December 2015:

rMacbook, MacBook Air 11/13, Macbook Pro 13, rMacBook Pro 13/15
iMac 21.5, iMac 21.54k, iMac 27 5k
MacPro
MacMini
AppleTV
iPod Shuffle, iPod nano, iPod Touch,
iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, iPhone6s, iPhone 6s+
iPad mini 2, iPad mini 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro
Apple watch sport/watch/edition/ 38/42 (20 models available)

Remember the time Cook boasted that you could fit all the stuff Apple sold on one table? Look at this list and think of all the permutations of colour, memory, ram and processors...

Do they really need to sell all this stuff?

They need to have the balls to go back to the era of concentrating on making the fewer products that are the best. WHY have they that many iPads? It makes my head hurt trying to work out which one is which.

And also - anyone else completely confused by their new online store? They seem to have hidden all the search and buying options. It looks like a fashion website. It's brutal.
I guess they're gonna need a bigger table then... :O

As for all the changes to the online and physical stores, I strongly believe that Angela Arendtz is not a good fit for Apple. Since she's taken over, they have made the online store harder to find online when it used to be a dedicated page that was easily accessible. Also, the Black Friday and Back to School sales have gotten way stingier and I don't think Apple even had any Black Friday sales at all this year whatsoever. Her mentality remains stuck in Burberry and I'm sorry but you can try all you want but Apple is not a luxury fashion brand and Steve Jobs would be incredibly pissed off with that notion.

I still don't get why Apple didn't just rehire Ron Johnson after he was let go from JC Penny...

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada

As for all the changes to the online and physical stores, I strongly believe that Angela Arendtz is not a good fit for Apple. Since she's taken over, they have made the online store harder to find online when it used to be a dedicated page that was easily accessible. Also, the Black Friday and Back to School sales have gotten way stingier and I don't think Apple even had any Black Friday sales at all this year whatsoever. Her mentality remains stuck in Burberry and I'm sorry but you can try all you want but Apple is not a luxury fashion brand and Steve Jobs would be incredibly pissed off with that notion.

I still don't get why Apple didn't just rehire Ron Johnson after he was let go from JC Penny...

It's the 'new' Apple. They are a huge, departmental company now... looking at spreadsheets rather than the big picture.

I'm guessing the site redesign is part of the 'flat' design baloney... (i.e.: integrate it and minimal/blend it in). The 'Back to School' stuff is probably part of marketing or something without seeing the big-picture of what it means to thrill students and get them on-board (and frankly, it's not so needed anymore, as most students buy Apple anyway.) But, if one looks at the spreadsheets and asks, how can we increase profits by X next quarter, this stuff all makes sense.

The problem is that we're still wanting the 'old' Apple where 'making a difference' and "Think Different" were the driving slogans, and where profit was important, but the products and impact of them came first.

And, if I'm right in this, Apple has a very limited future at the top. It's been a fun ride, I guess.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Hopefully we will see two different iPhones

One 6C based, with colorful options, a A8 32GB only. The other, a fully spec'd iPhone 6S Mini with a A9, perhaps without 3D Touch, but in 64,128GB options.

In regards to the product lineup...

Get rid of the 11" Air, 13" MBP Non retina. Take away the Air 1, and make those who want a larger iPad upgrade to the latest models. Remove 5S, and offer a cheap plastic/colorful 6C with a 4" screen and with A8, then offer a 6S in three same sizes. So if someone wants something more powerful and perhaps bigger, they must buy the highest end model.

Reactions: mbh1976

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Apple just released the new iPhones and now they are supposedly releasing even newer ones not even 5 months later? BS.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Apple just released the new iPhones and now they are supposedly releasing even newer ones not even 5 months later? BS.

They could certainly separately release one that is considered it's own category... kind of like the 5c or iPod touch, etc. Unfortunately, if it is a separate release, it would indicate that it's a lower-end version... which kind of defeats the purpose.

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009

As for all the changes to the online and physical stores, I strongly believe that Angela Arendtz is not a good fit for Apple. Since she's taken over, they have made the online store harder to find online....

Can she be the genius that thought by killing a 'store' tab, hiding accessories in unified site search, getting rid of a 'basket' and creating a 'bag' (and hiding it?), making the 'buy' button 3 pixels big and hiding it the corner (of product features pages only) and having no tab for iPod would make for increased sales?

Apple.com does indeed resemble the website for a fashion house now. For a technology website, you want to bring people in and make things simple, logical and easy for them. Tech can be daunting at the best of times - that was what got apple so many customers before.

The new site and the new "store" are a confusing mess. If Angela Arendtz did indeed spearhead this, I think it shows that retailing clothes and luxury goods well is not the same as retailing tech well. Also, she did preside over the 12" MacBook that you couldn't buy or try for 4months in all but 13 Apple stores and the convoluted Apple Watch rollout, which again - you had to try on and wait 2 weeks and go home and order online... or something barmy that made no sense.

Last edited:

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Oh yeah, I heard John Gruber and one of his guests laughing dismissively at that article on his podcast. I'm inclined to agree with quite a lot of it however.

They made a few good points about these guys complaining for a much longer time (probably somewhat warranted, IMO), and too much emphasis on thin fonts and such. But overall, I think that article nails the big picture... and Gruber and Snell don't seem to get it. Then at the end, they kind of admit that maybe Ive is a bit too focused on look over function and such.

If they (Gruber and Snell) made a good point, it was that touch interfaces are different. Well sure... so the same interface techniques Tog and Norman worked on obviously won't *directly* work. But the point is, then new ones need to be developed that ARE well thought out... not just thrown together.

One great example I give is button state. At least with skeuomorphism, there was a shot at it. And, even when color was included... maybe. But, now they've decided to go to black and white buttons, or just text that may or may-not be slightly lightened or darkened. And, if you only have 2 choices, which is which? I still get confused by the iOS shift key.

And, I'm not sure that either the Tog and Norman article, or Gruber and Snell cover the extent to which that kind of stuff has happened in the last few years. Yes, it's been slipping for a long time, even under Jobs. But, it's gone exponential lately.

So, the headline is dead on, even if Tog and Normal didn't nail it completely with data to back it up. (as opposed to Gruber and Snell that looked at the title as click-bait)

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Oh yeah, I heard John Gruber and one of his guests laughing dismissively at that article on his podcast. I'm inclined to agree with quite a lot of it however.

They made a few good points about these guys complaining for a much longer time (probably somewhat warranted, IMO), and too much emphasis on thin fonts and such. But overall, I think that article nails the big picture... and Gruber and Snell don't seem to get it. Then at the end, they kind of admit that maybe Ive is a bit too focused on look over function and such.

If they (Gruber and Snell) made a good point, it was that touch interfaces are different. Well sure... so the same interface techniques Tog and Norman worked on obviously won't *directly* work. But the point is, then new ones need to be developed that ARE well thought out... not just thrown together.

One great example I give is button state. At least with skeuomorphism, there was a shot at it. And, even when color was included... maybe. But, now they've decided to go to black and white buttons, or just text that may or may-not be slightly lightened or darkened. And, if you only have 2 choices, which is which? I still get confused by the iOS shift key.

And, I'm not sure that either the Tog and Norman article, or Gruber and Snell cover the extent to which that kind of stuff has happened in the last few years. Yes, it's been slipping for a long time, even under Jobs. But, it's gone exponential lately.

So, the headline is dead on, even if Tog and Normal didn't nail it completely with data to back it up. (as opposed to Gruber and Snell that looked at the title as click-bait)

Reactions: b-dogg

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013

I definitely agree with the part about the buttons on iOS, biggest design mistake Ive made was removing the ability to clearly indicate what's a tappable action button and what's a header. It continues to be complete irony that OS X still has obviously identifiable buttons for its point-and-click desktop interface whereas iOS needs the same style even more due to it being a touch-based UI and the current plain-text "button" layout on iOS does not invite touch at all.

Reactions: SteveW928

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I'd be ok with a full featured phone even smaller, like 3.5".

Honestly, yea, I'd rather have a 3.5" than a 4.7", as I'm used to my iPod touch with a 3.5". But, given the iPhone 5s, that seems to be about the biggest one can go before it gets too big... and that's 4" and more screen is always an advantage until the overall size of the unit gets too big. So, I think the 4" is a pretty good overall size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.