Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
OK, for those of you burnt out with all the MWSF threads, maybe you would like to provide some input for my upcoming ski vacation as a mental vacation from the macbook-ilife-imac madness?

I am planning a ski trip for early February, and we have narrowed it down to Tahoe (staying in South Lake Tahoe) or Utah (staying in Salt Lake City or Sandy). Either place, we will be renting a car and hitting different mountains each day and then partying more than we probably should at night.

Does anyone have any input on either (or both) of these ski destinations?

Thanks! m-dogg

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I don't ski, but I used to live in Salt Lake City and was told by many people that it is one of the best places to ski. So if you've never been there, give it a try. SLC has a lot going on and it is not far from the slopes.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I went to Sun Valley, ID about 3 weeks ago, and it was gorgeous. The snow is spectacular, the town is awesome, its a really really neat place. I went to Salt Lake when I was little, and it was pretty good too.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
M-dogg, you couldn't pick two better spots for skiing. Utah has become more trendy as of late. I would choose Tahoe, but that's because it's the most gorgeous lake I've seen. I hope tourists don't ruin it.:(

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I know this isn't one of your options, but with me being a snowboard bum in colorado, I would definitly reccomend Steamboat. Best resort I have ever boarded at. Or if you'd like to hit alot of mountains on different days, you can hit winterpark, copper, mary jane. Owell, you will have fun no matter where you go lol. Best of luck with your trip

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
OnceUGoMac said:
...I would choose Tahoe, but that's because it's the most gorgeous lake I've seen...

Agreed. I took a trip there in 1998, and between the skiing and scenery, it was a truly memorable week. I hope to go back sometime very soon.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
If the choice is between Tahoe and Utah, pick Utah. It consistently has better snow.

Edit:

Either place, we will be renting a car and hitting different mountains each day and then partying more than we probably should at night.

Oops, missed that part. You don't want Utah if you like to party. It's very, very dry. And I'm not talking humidity.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Okay, here's my scoop...

Utah: I did what you're proposing...rented a house in Sandy. Skied at Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and Park City. Alta is my favorite resort of all time...skier only, if that matters to you. You can't go wrong in Utah.

Tahoe: I spend a fair amount of time up there. There's really two areas of Tahoe, and it can be difficult to get between the two in a reasonable amount of time, especially if CA-89 is closed. Kirkwood (South Tahoe) is my favorite Tahoe resort. Heavenly is also there...I don't like Heavenly very much. It's huge, but lots of traverses that make you feel like you're always slogging uphill. North Tahoe has Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, Sugar Bowl...all quality resorts. I also really like Homewood, tucked along the western shore of the lake...small, family-run place with not as much elevation as the bigger places, but nice runs, nice people, and great views of the lake.

I guess for a single trip, I might say Utah, but maybe that's because the only time I've skied is there is during some great powder snowfalls. I've been through great and not-so-great conditions at Tahoe, so that skews things for me. Utah is also special for me because Tahoe is so close and I already spend so much time there.

Tahoe does have more to do...gambling and shows in Stateline, the lake, etc. Utah's okay in that regard, but not a huge party place, and if you're staying in Sandy, you're away from the action. (But it's expensive to stay in Park City.)

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
My vote is Utah

I would go with Utah, but stay away from the celebrity slopes (Park City - too crowded). I personally like Beaver Mountain (way up north by Bear Lake), Snow Basin (by Ogden) or Brighton or Snowbird.

Are you a skier or boarder? And what kind of terrain do you like to ski?

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Thanks for the responses so far. I ski, and I'd be going with one other skier and a snowboarder. We've been to a number of other places (Vail, Steamboat, Jackson Hole, Whistler, and a few others) and are trying to go someplace we've never been (for skiing anyway). I have been to Tahoe before a few years ago in the Summer and it is beautiful. Southern Utah is beautiful as well, though I've never been to the Salt Lake City/ski resort areas of Utah before.

We all like to ski everything. Trees are probably our favorite, but we tend to hit the wide open bowls & steeps more out west, just because they aren't around here too much in New England. And we'll be praying for powder wherever we go. :D

The mountains look better in Utah (and the snow is supposed to be great), but there might be more to do in Tahoe. Also, Alta may be an issue if we do Utah, because my snowboarding friend wouldn't be able to go.

Ugh, I don't know...I know there isn't a wrong answer...hopefully one of my friends will have a strong preference for one or the other. Otherwise we may end up flipping a coin or something!

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
i've got a lot of snowboarder buddies still stationed up at Hill AFB, UT and they said the slopes are pretty crappy this year. It's raining a lot up there, which means freezing, so the snow is turning hard very fast after it falls. I'd opt for Tahoe myself.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
m-dogg said:
but we tend to hit the wide open bowls & steeps more out west, just because they aren't around here too much in New England.
Gee, thanks for reminding me. :rolleyes:
*prays he can get new skis next season* I've tried out some nice pairs (Atomic IZOR 9:7, Fischer something-or-other that I can't find on their site, both great, but it different ways,) and last Wednesday was great at Sunapee (video from that soon to be live on Google video. ;)) But we still don't get great powder here, nor do we get big bowls. Oh well :(

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Okay, we decided on Utah for this trip!

We leave February 4th - Less than a month away; I can't wait!

Counterfit - I'd also recommend checking out the atomic metron's. I have the metron m11's and they are a fantastic pair of skis!

SharksFan22

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Bay Area, CA
i've been to both many times and would offer that for skiing, Utah wins hands down. But for geographic beauty and entertainment, Tahoe is much better. There's much more nightlife in South Shore Tahoe than there is in Park City and in Tahoe, you don't have to deal with all of the "irregularities" associated with having fun in Utah. :rolleyes:

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
m-dogg said:
Counterfit - I'd also recommend checking out the atomic metron's. I have the metron m11's and they are a fantastic pair of skis!
The metron m8s (top of the metron line) were recommended to me by a local shop, but at a shop near Loon, I was told there would probably be too soft for me, and they gave me the Izor 9:7 (top of that line). There's about $100 between the two of them, so I think I'd go with the Izors over the metrons, as these will be my skis for up to 10 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.