Skim: An Intelligent Tag Cloud

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Boopyman, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Boopyman, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

Boopyman macrumors newbie

Skim is an intelligent application that analyzes huge quantities of text, and rapidly extracts the most frequently used words from the source.

These keywords are then displayed in an awesome graphical representation where they seem to float around. This Cloud tells you, in the blink of an eye, what the main themes are in a text that can be hundreds of pages long.

Here are several situations in which Skim proves to be a great tool:

-Analyzing a song, book, or poem, and demonstrating the frequent use of certain words.

-Analyzing a political speech to see which words the speaker is over-using.

-Analyzing an article to get an idea of its main themes before you actually decide to read it.

Indeed, the possibilities are endless.

The fact that Skim is blazing fast (speeds of up to 50,000 words per second) means that you could literally save several hours a day by Skimming texts, rather than actually reading through the entire material.

Once you select a keyword in your 'Skim Cloud', Skim gives you more information about it, such as a Wikipedia description, an image, the keyword's number of occurrences, it's ranking, and finally, sentences in which it appears.

Additionally, Skim's capability to export your beautiful graph as an image file means you can easily insert it into a virtual presentation to prove your point to your audience.

As if this wasn't enough, Skim can also export your Skim Cloud to Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr, so that you can share your findings with your friends !

Here is an example of Skim's output, on Martin Luther King's famous speech 'I Have a Dream':

[​IMG]

Users who like to control the aspect of things can even customize this Skim Cloud's font and colors ! (Version 1.02)

Skim is available on the Mac App Store for 5$

EDIT: If you are interested, post a reply if you wish to have a promo code.​

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Wow Thanks! Yes I would love to have a promo code please.

3. Boopyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Consider yourself lucky, I'll only be giving out a couple of these ;)

Tell me what you think about the application, and if you like it, please rate it and review it positively !

FP4A496F4KH9

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Thank you very much. I will test and rate. 

5. vaughntreco macrumors newbie

What a great app idea...

I am currently creating electronic versions of a few literary works that are in the public domain. I think that your app will provide a quite creative "feature" in the intros to the chapters of those works.

BTW - I would love a promo code!

6. sawxray macrumors newbie

Multiple documents?

Can I analyze several docs at the same time? That is, one graphic based on the content of all at the same time?

If so, I would love to give it a whirl.

Or...can I create, let's say, three simultaneous maps so I can compare nd contrast docs?

Thanks!

7. Boopyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comment ! I think you're right, it would be an interesting feature in your work ! Here's a code: P69RANHMYWWM.

You can definitely do this. Just copy / paste the separate docs into the Skim window, and it will do one graph based on all sources !

You can't directly create three simultaneous maps, but you can go through the process three times (it's extremely, extremely fast, don't worry) and each time, save your cloud to disk !

Here's a promotion code, the last one I'm giving out: AK4R3KFNF7RX.

8. Boopyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to point out that version 1.02 would bring the following advancements to Skim:

-A Customization option, for users who want to modify the font and colors of their Skim Cloud.
    -Fixes in the UI.