Skim command not found

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by L3munoz, Nov 2, 2010.

1. L3munoz macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I installed Skim to read pdf files in Mac, but if i write in the shell which skim or whereis skim there is nothing...then i guess there is no command called skim.

My point is to create it, but i dont know how, can anyone help on this'??how can i create a command??

Then I'm using Kile and it gives me the following error

/bin/bash skim command not found

I guess if i define the command this error wont appear, am i right??

any advice is welcome for this mac newbie...

regards,

Munoz.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Where did you install skim to? You need to add that to your PATH (which you can do in your bashrc file).

3. L3munoz thread starter macrumors newbie

skim is installed in Applications, but what and how should i edit the .bashrc file. I mean, how to find it and what to write inside??

sorry for such a stupid questions...

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it's installed in applications then is it a GUI app? If so adding it to your path doesn't really make sense: it's not a Unix command.

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

You need to install a unix pdf viewer. Both evince and xpdf are available from macports. From where did you get kile? You might be able to get okular, evince or xpdf from there.

6. L3munoz thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed kile via macports, yes...and i wanted to use skim which is the pdf viewer i have in mac. the way i solved was just to take the path as you said and copy it in the preferences command blank in kile. in this way i guess kile knew how to call skim.

although it is a GUI app, it can also be called via shell, no?? In fact, i wrote

/Applications/Skim.app/Contents/MacOS/Skim and i opened the software. But i guess there is also a way to run Skim in the shell without writing everytime the whole path...how should i define the command to do it?? I mean, something called like 'skim' which everytime you write in the shell Skim is opened (like when u write xfig or kile...)

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, but the normal way to open a file in a GUI app on OSX is to use the open command.

Code:
    open -a Skim mypdf.pdf

8. L3munoz thread starter macrumors newbie