Skin applicators: Dangers to applying soapy solution to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Neebee, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Neebee macrumors 6502a

I've seen several supposedly "professionals" applying lots of liquid when applying Best Skin, Invisible Shield, Ghost Armor, etc.

I find it physically impossible that no water does not seep inside the phone, either through the earpiece or the home button. For the most part, people won't know if there device has triggered the moisture sensor on their phone until they take it in for service or examination.

Are these skin applicators magicians?

2. ProudLoz macrumors regular

The key is if you accidentally over do it, is to align the screen protector and then press on it so it'll "stick" to the position you want, and then immediately dry up the excess water with the cloth they provide, and then when you apply pressure to the screen protecto with the squeegy, continue to go around where the excess water comes out and dry it up immediately.

I've done this lots of times from experience and I have never tripped any of the censors in the past.

3. golfgrouch macrumors member

The question shouldn't be whether any fluid enters the phone. The question should be whether such small amounts of fluid damages the phone.

Has anyone damaged their phone from a wet film application?

4. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

The damage done by the liquid may not be realized at first. For example, my iPhone 5 was dropped in the bathtub--full of water. It STILL worked.

After a while, the metal connectors will start to corrode. How long and what affect it will not be known for a while. When you bring your device in to Apple as a result of a complaint, before they will give you replacement (if that's what they decide is the best option), they will examine your device if the moisture sensor is tripped. During the warranty period, it is more important to know if the moisture sensors are tripped. Afterwards, it is more important to know if the liquid caused any damage.