skin for RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J273, Jul 1, 2012.

1. J273 macrumors regular

Sorry, this question may have been asked loads before:confused:

im after a skin for my yet to arrive RMBP - On my previous Air i used a wrapsol which was perfect ,problem is me being in the UK its costs around $90 all in including shipping which i dont fancy paying.

Ive used zagg before but prefer the matte finish of the wrapsol.

Can anyone tell me if there are any other transparent skins available for the retina model which have the matte finish rather than the glossy finish.

Many thanks

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Just go naked, you are only spoiling the experience, a Mac`s surface finish is plenty durable enough for regular use; shower in a raincoat, condoms and, you get what I mean. I have never used plastic on a Mac and never will.

Your computer is a tool not a deity, forget wrapping it up in cotton wool. Focus on what you can do with the machine that`s what will define you as profesional, not a dubiously lengthy hardware list on a forum.

3. errr macrumors newbie

I just ordered the clear skin from bodyguardz.com.

I have been using bodyguardz product since ipad1/2/3, iphone 3/3gs/4/4s, and MBP and have been fairly happy with them. I am most happy with their fair replacement program.... not sure if that would work for you since you are in UK.

I agree with taking away the experience of "touching" your naked RMBP with some kind of skin. However, I am super paranoid with scratches and it drives me nuts every time I put down my RMBP, or put it into a bag. My fear went away after putting in skin for my old MBP and I hope to do the same with this skin :D

Good luck

4. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Me too. It was a gel solution for a new MacBook Pro, wasn't it?

5. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

Are the bodyguardz a matte finish or glossy?

Thanks

6. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

I just picked up the fullbody Bestskins ever for the RMBP and it's awesome

7. errr macrumors newbie

Yes it is. The new bodyguardz gel makes it super easy to install. I am glad they redid it.

8. Vexed macrumors member

Eh, I disagree. Part of what makes a MacBook so coveted is its appearance, and I've seen far too many people accidentally give a light scratch to their laptop that just ruins the general "cleanness" of the unibody appearance. I guess you might slightly be ruining the aesthetics in your own use to the point that it might not be worth it, but there are a decent amount of cases/skins out there that maintain the appearance while providing protection fairly well. Admittedly I haven't seen very many rMBP cases as of yet, but if current demand is any indicator, they'll surely hit the market very very soon. I believe Kuzy has some up for preorder in black, and I've been impressed with their aesthetics in the past.

Beyond that, most people who buy MBP's (can't speak to the OP, but posting on MacRumors might be an indication) tend to hyper-buy new notebooks on Apple's production cycle and sell off their old one, and scratches or other dings will only depreciate your re-sale value, even if only ever so slightly. Appearance matters a lot if you try to sell it over craigslist, too.

9. Knightimer macrumors member

Go for the best skins. The price is affordable and has the same level of protection. I have it on my MBA 2012.

10. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I too have the Best Skins Ever full boy on the rMBP. Good product. I have it on my iPad and had it on my previous MBP.

I removed the one on the MBP before selling it - the machine looked brand new.

11. blow45 macrumors 68000

I am with, I am just going to put on a keyboard cover because burning a 2011 air with water wasn't the most enjoyable experience. And this isn't a lenovo that drains water away, it's a mac.;)

12. timothytaa macrumors newbie

Anyone have the BodyGuardz carbon fiber on their retina macbook pro? I think it looks really cool but will it actually protect the rMBP?

13. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'm with you. Scratches and dents show a true notebook warrior. You don't want to look like the w*nker with new trainers... and as regards selling them I always pass computers downwards through the family until they die. My media centre is a Dell I bought new six years ago (Core 2 Duo), was handed on to my wife, then next upgrade she handed it on to my son, then next upgrade it was demoted to XBMC use. I expect that in 2018 this MBPr will be running the TV...

14. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Go to apple website and call some of the authorized dealers in your local area, i know some here in the states sell skins and have deals with alot of third party companies that sell accessories.

15. spdntrxi macrumors regular

I have the wrapsol.... But I think I need to wait about a week or so after I get my rMBP until I put it on... Have to give it full once over and testing to make sure I don't have a dud of a laptop.

16. Tremulant macrumors newbie

I have the Carbon FIber installed on my Macbook Pro 2009, and it's mostly a style product in my opinion. It does protect from scratches and abrasions, but it's just a skin so it doesn't offer any real drop protection.

That being said, it makes my Macbook look amazing so I don't think I will ever take it off :)

17. jcpb macrumors 6502a

There's nothing "cool" about a Mac's appearance, other than a lighted logo on the screen's backside that syncs with brightness settings. Cover it up with aluminum-colored duct tape and it looks not anymore different from a PC laptop. Scratch the aluminum a lot and it starts looking like the brushed-aluminum on a few Samsung laptops.

If the other guy doesn't intend to sell their Macbooks just before annual refreshes, cosmetic 'dings' and resale value mean very little.

Why does it matter so much that a Macbook needs to be kept in perfectly-pristine condition? It's a tool, it is meant to be used, it's not designed to be looked at like a Porsche with a broken-down engine preventing it from going anywhere.