Skin or Case to protect MBA from scratches?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HarryWarden, Jun 29, 2014.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Which option do you prefer and why? What are the drawbacks to one or both of the methods if you have experience with them?

2. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I use a $9 neoprene sleeve I got from Amazon and keep inside my bag for work.

No issues, super lightweight, and cheap.

3. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

I use an iCarbons skin on the bottom and around the keyboard of my MBA...I just couldn't bring myself to cover the lid.

The skin + a simple case (I use this one, but anything similar would work fine..http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T5CUFM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) inside a bag and it's perfectly fine.

After 10 months, the only marks on my MBA are from the TwelveSouth Book Arc stand where the rubber rubs against the lid..no scratches, nicks, dings or dents to be found.

4. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

5. jg321 macrumors 6502

Slip sleeve is the best for me. Tried the skin and they just ruin the look/feel and seem bulky.

Naked all the way! Unless it's travelling! Pretty much the way I roll!

6. outlawarth macrumors regular

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

No skin, they all look cheap & tacky.

Just buy a decent sleeve that protects the computer when on the move.

8. OCICILIONI macrumors member

I like my Zagg Invisishield. It's clear so you see the beauty of the machine

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've had my Mophie iGlaze for my 2013 MBA for nearly a year now and it has held up well. Great protection that is VERY light (one can hardly detect there is anything even on the Air) but VERY sturdy protection. On the expensive side at nearly $60.00, but I purchased mine on Amazon for $49.00 (no tax and free shipping with Prime) last year.

Anyway, I know most here think it is too expensive (and it is expensive) and there are many less expensive options, but for me, it was exactly what I wanted for my new 13" MBA. Still love it.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I have an 11" MBA. This thing is stinkin' tiny! It's amazing that it is a full-on OSX notebook. It is only slightly larger than the Surface 2 it replaced.

I went with a Decoded brown leather case (a birthday present from my wife). I wanted something simply to protect it from scratches while transporting it.

I have an Amazon Basics netbook case that I use when I need to carry the AC adapter, mouse, and other accessories, but for those times when I only need the MBA, I went with the case.

I've had hardshell covers for my 15" MBP. But that thing is a battleship (comparatively speaking) that the added bulk didn't make much difference, but for the MBA it would.

11. outlawarth macrumors regular

How do you like the Decoded case? I was thinking of buying one for my 11 MBA. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've only had it 3 days but so far I really like it. It fits the MBA like a glove. I wouldn't attempt to put anything else in the case except for a few sheets of paper. The first day or so was a challenge getting the MBA into the sleeve because of the sandisk nano USB nub I keep inserted into the device. But by inserting the tapered end first, I was able to work it in.

I like the brownish orange rather than the black... The color reminds me of my baseball gloves back in the day. I'll see how well it wears.

13. outlawarth macrumors regular

Thank you. This case is on my short list to try.