Skin or cover for 15" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phishindsn, Mar 31, 2012.

1. phishindsn macrumors regular

I have just upgraded from my 13" to a 15". On my previous MacBook Pro, I had the Speck seeThru Satin in black. Overall I was happy with the product but want to go a thinner route this time. What I didn't like about the Speck was the clips starting cracking off, the Satin always showed scratches and eventually started wearing off. I travel with my laptop daily as I use it for work.

Does anyone recommend a skin or some protective piece for the Macbook Pro or am I left with the Speck?

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I recommend a speck clear hard shell over a protective film. I had a buddy put an invisible shield on his poly carbonate macbook and it started to have this yellow tint over time.

Edit: I have never had problems with any scratching with the "clips" you mention. Also I use a moshi palm rest guard/trackpad and a top case keyboard cover.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I have the 17in but I really recommend the Speck SeeThru case.
    Its hard and protects your MBP from scratches and all.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

5. aCondor macrumors 6502

They are relatively cheap, why not get both?

From,
    Your neighborhood Speck dealer and his MBP custom-skin wholesaler wife.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Are you planning to sell the laptop after a few years?
    If not, I wouldn't bother so much with covering it. A few scratches on the aluminum will not impact your ability to work on the machine.

7. phishindsn thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I am kind of agreeing with not covering it. I take good care of things but in the event down the road I want to sell it, buyer's tend to like that it was in a case.

8. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I would go with the Speck for sure. How do you think you would feel if you got a nice scratch in it, and then regretted never getting one?

9. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

10. AppChat macrumors regular

speck, mmoshi palmgaurd and cleargaurd, macbook looks brand new still after 6 months. even the ruber feet arent worn.

woop woop

11. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I haven't put more than 3 days of use on my keyboard in the last 8 months.

12. OZSlayer macrumors newbie

Just thought you guys would like to know that I found some Leather U-suit Macbook covers which are very hard to find now, It has given a refreshed look to my Macbook and provides excellent protection. http://stores.ebay.com.au/2012idit

13. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

If you've bought your Speck case in the last year, they have a 1 year limited warrantee and even pay for shipping back to them. Send them an email, they're really helpful.

14. aman20177 macrumors regular

Are you still using your Speck case and happy with it? Any issues? And also how often are you cleaning it?

15. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

I've had my best skins ever on the top and bottom of MBP and its been great.

Also have the moshi palm protector

16. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Ditto! I previously used an Incase Satin case on my 13 Macbook Pro. At the end (1.5yrs later) the dirt inside etc caused all sorts of scratches and chips. Also, the case looked like hell.

Just got my 13 inch macbook pro and I put a best skin ever on it. WOW it looks great, feels great. I also slide it into a colcasac in my backpack to protect it from dirt / etc. The BSE protects it from scratches etc when it's out of the case, gives it a nice shiny glossy look, and allows me to enjoy my laptop without having to worry about scruffing up the aluminum.

17. kh3khalid macrumors regular

Go for the Speck SmartCase Satin. It's thinner and newer than the SeeThru Satin.

18. aman20177 macrumors regular

Speck Smartshell has major moulding issues. I've had 4 so far and all of them with issues. I just received my SeeThru Satin for my rMBP today and its perfect! No issues what so ever and its stronger which means better protection.

19. kh3khalid macrumors regular

Oh no! I ordered one with my cMBP 15". They will both arrive in the upcoming days. Fingers crossed :D

20. aman20177 macrumors regular

Good Luck :) Hopefully it's all good. I've had 4 replacements and they were not good. And I go the SeeThru and its perfection :cool: