skin or cover for front bezel

aperture01

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Washington, DC
Hey

Has anyone seen a screen protector that covers the front of the chrome bezel. Not the side where everything seems to protect but the front edge that you see when looking head on. That area is by far the most scratch prone on the whole phone for me. I have a BSE and it's great but it doesn't cover that area and i'm starting to get some scratches (god i hate scratches) i'm thinking of ordering an extra skin and rigging it to cover that area.

jkallen

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Brushed metal?

just do the brushed metal treatment if the scratches bug. That's what I did and i much prefer it to the original.
Ok - I should have bought BSE BEFORE i dropped the iphone. No major damage, but some good scratches on the top of the unit - mostly on the chrome bezel. Where do i get the Brushed metal you mention?

Thanks

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Ok - I should have bought BSE BEFORE i dropped the iphone. No major damage, but some good scratches on the top of the unit - mostly on the chrome bezel. Where do i get the Brushed metal you mention?

Thanks
you do it yourself. tape off the bezel edge one strip at a time with tape, electrical tape works great. Front and back of phone. Then use a scotch brite sponge, the green part that is rough, or a fine grit sandpaper and lightly rub in one direction. You'll have great brushed metal bezel in no time.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I got the Invisible Shield (http://www.theinvisibleshield.com). It is form cut, and covers 98% of ALL surfaces. Works well...

I had it put on first thing, so I cannot compare to a "naked" iPhone. It does seem I need to be a bit "firm" in my gestures, but nothing all that annoying.

I like it.

kcguy76

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
Brushed-Aluminum look

Hey Guys,

I know it sounds nuts to take a piece of sand-paper to the bezel, but if you take your time an tape it off like jecapaga mentions below, it looks REALLY cool! Apple really should have done this from the beginning....it doesn't show finger-prints, doesn't show scratches (cause you've already 'brushed' it) and it gives it a really neat look. TAKE YOUR TIME...if you do, you'll be really happy with the results! Thanks jecapaga for the suggestion! I love it!

you do it yourself. tape off the bezel edge one strip at a time with tape, electrical tape works great. Front and back of phone. Then use a scotch brite sponge, the green part that is rough, or a fine grit sandpaper and lightly rub in one direction. You'll have great brushed metal bezel in no time.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan

Thanks
if you are weary about it, dont be.
i did the brushed metal on the entire back of my old 5th gen.
here is a link for some pictures of how it would look/what you need

http://members.optusnet.com.au/brushedipod/

kcguy76

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
Yeah, Bc008 that looks really cool! I got the exact same results with my iPhone..I just couldn't be happier...I was so tired of looking at the fingerprints and scratches. Can you guys think of any reason why Apple doesn't do this in the first place ? I think it gives the devices a more appealing asthetic value, and also would being a selling point when people see a 5 year old iPod that still looks great! Just was wondering if anyone knew...maybe cost? But with the metal off of the ipod or iphone, it sure would be fast and easy to do this.

if you are weary about it, dont be.
i did the brushed metal on the entire back of my old 5th gen.
here is a link for some pictures of how it would look/what you need

http://members.optusnet.com.au/brushedipod/

englishgraham

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
NYC
i got a clear agent 18 case from the apple store .. awesome! keeps the whole iphone covered and i also put an anti-glare film across the screen. i removed the case yesterday and the iphone is like new,. i highly recommend it

PatrickC

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Hey Guys,

I know it sounds nuts to take a piece of sand-paper to the bezel, but if you take your time an tape it off like jecapaga mentions below, it looks REALLY cool! Apple really should have done this from the beginning....it doesn't show finger-prints, doesn't show scratches (cause you've already 'brushed' it) and it gives it a really neat look. TAKE YOUR TIME...if you do, you'll be really happy with the results! Thanks jecapaga for the suggestion! I love it!
Can you post a picture or two of the brushed iPhone bezel for us to see? I'm tempted to do it to mine as well.