skin or cover for front bezel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aperture01, Aug 23, 2007.

1. aperture01 macrumors member

aperture01

Hey

Has anyone seen a screen protector that covers the front of the chrome bezel. Not the side where everything seems to protect but the front edge that you see when looking head on. That area is by far the most scratch prone on the whole phone for me. I have a BSE and it's great but it doesn't cover that area and i'm starting to get some scratches (god i hate scratches) i'm thinking of ordering an extra skin and rigging it to cover that area.

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

just do the brushed metal treatment if the scratches bug. That's what I did and i much prefer it to the original.

3. aperture01 thread starter macrumors member

aperture01

so a no go on that... hrm wonder why no company has made the front skin just go a bit larger to cover the metal, hmmm...

4. Navintar macrumors member

The BSE covers about 90% of the chrome bezel. The only exception would be the 2mm front edge.

5. jkallen macrumors newbie

Brushed metal?

Ok - I should have bought BSE BEFORE i dropped the iphone. No major damage, but some good scratches on the top of the unit - mostly on the chrome bezel. Where do i get the Brushed metal you mention?

Thanks

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

you do it yourself. tape off the bezel edge one strip at a time with tape, electrical tape works great. Front and back of phone. Then use a scotch brite sponge, the green part that is rough, or a fine grit sandpaper and lightly rub in one direction. You'll have great brushed metal bezel in no time.

7. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I got the Invisible Shield (http://www.theinvisibleshield.com). It is form cut, and covers 98% of ALL surfaces. Works well...

I had it put on first thing, so I cannot compare to a "naked" iPhone. It does seem I need to be a bit "firm" in my gestures, but nothing all that annoying.

I like it.

8. kcguy76 macrumors newbie

Brushed-Aluminum look

Hey Guys,

I know it sounds nuts to take a piece of sand-paper to the bezel, but if you take your time an tape it off like jecapaga mentions below, it looks REALLY cool! Apple really should have done this from the beginning....it doesn't show finger-prints, doesn't show scratches (cause you've already 'brushed' it) and it gives it a really neat look. TAKE YOUR TIME...if you do, you'll be really happy with the results! Thanks jecapaga for the suggestion! I love it!

9. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

if you are weary about it, dont be.
    i did the brushed metal on the entire back of my old 5th gen.
    here is a link for some pictures of how it would look/what you need

http://members.optusnet.com.au/brushedipod/

10. kcguy76 macrumors newbie

Yeah, Bc008 that looks really cool! I got the exact same results with my iPhone..I just couldn't be happier...I was so tired of looking at the fingerprints and scratches. Can you guys think of any reason why Apple doesn't do this in the first place ? I think it gives the devices a more appealing asthetic value, and also would being a selling point when people see a 5 year old iPod that still looks great! Just was wondering if anyone knew...maybe cost? But with the metal off of the ipod or iphone, it sure would be fast and easy to do this.

11. englishgraham macrumors member

englishgraham

i got a clear agent 18 case from the apple store .. awesome! keeps the whole iphone covered and i also put an anti-glare film across the screen. i removed the case yesterday and the iphone is like new,. i highly recommend it

12. PatrickC macrumors member

Can you post a picture or two of the brushed iPhone bezel for us to see? I'm tempted to do it to mine as well.