skin or hard case for MBP... please help!

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
So, I bought the 2018 MBP and I want to keep it "new" as long as possible. I would love some opinions on whether you think a skin is better for protection or buying a hard card would be a better idea?

I'm afraid that a lot of dust would collect under the hard case. What do you think? I'd really appreciate some of your opinions! :)

Thanks in advance!

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I've seen dirt and debris trapped under a hard case cause scratches. I always put a skin on mine and then when I leave the house with it I have a case I can snap on that fits with the skin on but then take it off when its on my desk.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
The biggest risk I've found with keeping MacBooks 'new' is denting the corners when they fall or get knocked off a table. A skin won't help with that; a hard case will. But I can't stand them, so I put mine in a good slip case (incase tensaerlite) and just treat it very carefully. Got a 2018 15in pro here which I am babying at the moment - it goes back in the case when I'm not using it. not unreasonable behaviour for a machine that costs £3k and that I expect to last me 5+years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.