Skin Question for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WindWaker, Aug 5, 2012.

1. WindWaker macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I have a quick question regarding two skins from Bodyguardz (from which I've heard very good things about). The first has to do with the black carbon fiber armor available in the store here: http://www.bodyguardz.com/armor-car...-retina-2012.html?dir=asc&order=sort_priority

Does anybody know how the skin will react when and if exposed to heat from the rMBP? Also, is the adhesive on the skin left over when removed?

The second skin is a wet mount, and my question pertains to the same things above-- will the heat affect it in a negative way, and would the skin leave something over if removed? Here it is: http://www.bodyguardz.com/apple-mac...-skins-films.html?dir=asc&order=sort_priority

Thanks!

2. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

The rMBP from what I've read doesn't heat up as much as the regular MBP, only in a certain spot therefore I don't think heat would really affect the skin. If you hear good things about it then it should do fine :) It isn't well known for a reason!

I'm actually considering getting this skin when I get my Retina! But how often does your Macbook get scratched?

3. WindWaker, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

Really not that often :p Just want to be extra careful with this one as it's the most expensive one yet

I'm a bit scared just because reviews are so scarce in regards to this specific product :(

4. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

On a side note, what precautions should be used when using a wetmount for the palm-rest? I'm worried (as I've seen others) about applying solution around the trackpad/ speakers...

5. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Try Youtube reviews! Especially the comments :) I don't think I'm getting the full body, maybe just the top because I'm not too concerned with the bottom and I don't want to ruin the experience placing it on the touchpad!

6. Tremulant macrumors newbie

Hey, I actually just weighed in on another thread already on this, but I just wanted to answer your questions since I have used both of these products.

Carbon Fiber:
    I have this on my Macbook right now and it is awesome. Not as protective as the clear skin, but it makes my Macbook look so cool & unique. I get a lot of comments on it. I haven't removed it yet, but I used the carbon fiber on my phone before and removed that and there was no residue. Most companies that make skins ensure that they will not leave any residue behind so I wouldn't worry about that. I've had it on my Macbook for about 6 months now with no issues from heat or anything. It hasn't shrunk and I haven't noticed my macbook overheating at all.

Clear Skin:
    I had this on my macbook for a year and it was amazing. When I removed it there was only a small amount of residue that rubbed off easily. Again, there was no effect from heat. I think that is a non-issue really. I loved the feel of it, especially when I would carry it I felt like I had a lot more grip than when it was naked.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more Q's.

----------

Oh, and I applied all of the smaller pieces (including the trackpad) without the gel and it worked fine. I wasn't worried about the gel damaging my computer since it is alcohol based and dries really quickly, but it's just easier to do the smaller pieces dry. The larger pieces I would definitely do wet though. It makes it a lot easier and decreases the chance of bubbles and cloudiness. Just be patient on the install and you should be fine. Watching the install videos helps a lot too.