Skin under the Speck case anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fkjr2, Mar 1, 2012.

1. fkjr2 macrumors member

Hi - I was thinking of putting an adhesive skin on the Mac 17 and then the Speck cover case for ultimate protection seeing as the aluminum casing is quite susceptible to nicks - anyone else try this successfully?

Thanks

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

just use the speck if your worried about nicks if somthing cant damage it with the speck on the skin wont help

3. fkjr2 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I am with you but there are reports that dust and dirt get under the Speck cover and may scratch the surface - thats why I thought an adhesive skin prior to the Speck.

4. razmarino macrumors member

razmarino

if you will clean the case and your mac before installation, it will be ok. i have mba in speck satin already for a half a year, and i cant see any dust.. but you must know, if you once installed case, dont remove it any more - it will crack easily. and there is a point with heat, looks like mine mba heats "better" in this case, so im thinking of removing it. and if you will put an adhesive skin also, i can imagine your base temp..

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Usually I don't comment on these threads, because everyone should use his macbook the way he/she prefers, but this is just crazy. If you are scared that much by possible scratches, then maybe it's best to leave the macbook in the box!

To also contribute something useful:
    I wouldn't put a skin under the case. The speck cases are very tightly fit to the MBPs, I've actually read about a few people that damaged their MBPs because they were not able to remove the case without brute force (also using a screwdriver on aluminum is stupid of course!). Anyways, with a skin, the case might not fit properly and actually cause more damage.

Use either the speck case + a nice protective sleeve, or the skin and a nice protective sleeve.

I assume you have keyboard cover and palm rest skin? My MBP has started to get a bit shiny at the edge of the palm rest, where my metal watch touches it regularly. So if you care about that, you have to protect it all around, not just the outside ;)

6. kywildcats macrumors member

I got my speck case in yesterday and they actually come with a little piece of paper that has instructions on it. That piece of paper said to take the case off and clean the inside about once a month

7. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Thats what I do, and also keep it in a incase sleeve. There is a good amount of filth that is built up under that case, but nothing that would scratch it.

8. allieverything macrumors member

I use a wrapsol on mine. It's a clear, matte, very thin skin. It covers the outside, inside palm rest/trackpad, and the bottom. I've never had a speck case, but I couldn't imagine the computer not fitting with this installed.

9. Fcal124 macrumors newbie

I put a Speck on mine and that's it!
    I didn't get my Macbook to look at the outside of it. As long as it works properly, who cares about scratches on the outside. It adds character.

10. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Skin under a speck case would be like wearing 2 condoms at one time. Overkill?

11. shootist macrumors regular

So don't use a cover and keep your notebook clean. Don't bang it around, throw it in a backpack and take care of it.

12. kungfuhamsterr macrumors newbie

i'd take that rather having the girl pregnant or have aids :D

13. lamboman macrumors 6502

Honestly, unless you drop the laptop, or put it on services with lots of hard dust and dirt (grains of sand are your enemy!), you won't scratch it. Your best bet is to get a nice sleeve, like the Incase Slim Sleeve, and use the MBP naked. If you're really worried about scratches, you could use a skin and put your MBP in a sleeve.

From previous experience, I would avoid hard cases. Any dirt that gets in that is quite hard will scratch your laptop. You can prevent this by taking your MBP out of the case and cleaning it regularly, but that doesn't really give you anything over a skin and a sleeve.

14. Kristine macrumors 6502a

We have five MBP within the family (3 x 15" and 2 x 13") and all have a Wrapsol skin installed and then a Speck case over the top. No problems with the Speck case fitting and the Wrapsol ensures the Speck case does not scratch the MBP. It's the first thing that is done on the MBP's once we ensure the screens are defect free (no dead pixels etc.). We also have Moshi keyboard protectors as well.