iPad skin vs hard plastic back?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by quamsi, Dec 6, 2013.

1. quamsi macrumors regular

Looking for light, barely-noticable protection for my Ipad Air. I'm wondering just how much thicker one of those cheap clear plastic rear shells are vs a rear skin? If it's not that much more bulky it may be worth the extra protection. It will be used with the smart cover. Thanks.

2. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

If you want it it still be as light as possible get a skin but if you want added protection for drops or knocks get a back shell.

Even though the plastic shells don't really add much bulk you will still feel the difference in weight but on the other hand a skin will only cover you for scratches.

3. Spankey macrumors 6502a

The clear shells scratch easily. I'm going with skin. If you think your ipad is safe from drops go with skin.

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

I use a Ghost Armor skin for around the house because it doesn't add any weight. The nice thing is that it is so thin I can use a case when I travel so it's the best of both worlds. Been using this set up since the iPad 2.

I don't worry about drops around the house nearly as much as I worry about all sorts of things when I travel, like the trip in Nov when we hit turbulence and the guy next to me pretty much threw his drink on my iPad 3. Luckily I had just closed the case so all I had to do was go wipe it down. Without the case I'm pretty sure his Coke would have gotten into at least one of the ports. It was a STM Grip so the sides were covered. Wasn't his fault, just a '**** happens' moment.