Skink pinhole for Nikon or keep looking?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by W1MRK, Jul 20, 2011.

1. W1MRK macrumors 6502

Looking for thoughts on a good pinhole for a Nikon D80. Love the way the Skink looks but was wondering if they are one of the best of if anyone can recommend a less expensive but equally built commercial pinhole lens.

Just thinking plain, not sure if the pro sets they offer with the two other filters are worth it.

Thoughts appreciated.

2. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

As a no cost (the best type) experiment have you thought of putting a pin hole in the centre of a body cap?
    KGB

3. W1MRK thread starter macrumors 6502

I have but unsure of what I heard that it has to 100% centered and exact for good pics. Thinking it just has to light into the sensor?

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I don't see how you're going to get "good pics" with a pinhole-- pinholes are so far into diffraction territory that you may as well just put the camera on manual focus and just move the ring randomly. Unless by "good pics" you mean "quirky out of focus images that are so bad you sort of have to call them artistic to justify not deleting them." :D

There are Youtube vidoes on making your own pinholes from a body cap if you're intent on doing it.

Paul

5. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Lomo

I understand that there are Lomo lenses available for a range of DSLRs and this may be another 'arty' way of making trick images. Of course there's the old vaseline on the UV filter, swirled, concentric or striped for a load of fun too.
    KGB;)

6. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Actually one of my all time favorite photos I took with a cardboard box, piece of copper and a sheet of B&W photo paper. The focus and depth of field were amazing.

On the other hand I'm not ready to trade in my Nikons. ;)

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Photo paper isn't a digital sensor- mine start showing diffraction effects at f/11, though that doesn't kill most images- I believe the Skink pinholes are around f/200- most pinholes are smaller than f/120. The D80 starts diffraction effects around f/13. If you go to the Skink site, you won't see "amazing" depth of field, you'll see the effects of a two-year-old sneezing on the lens before you turn to take a picture ;)

Paul